Sunday December 8, 2019
Home India Goa Governmen...

Goa Government Trying to Discourage TikTok, PUBG among Students

The circular says that awareness needs to be created among parents and guardians about the social media apps in the interest of safety and security of students

0
//
TikTok
The logo of the TikTok application is seen on a screen in this picture illustration taken Feb. 21, 2019. VOA

The Goa government has taken steps to discourage the use of mobile app Tik Tok and online game PUBG among students, Chief Minister Pramod Sawant told the Goa legislative Assembly on Monday.

To a question from Conrgess MLA Ravi Naik, Sawant, in a written reply tabled during the ongoing Monsoon session, quoted a circular issued by the state Director of Education Nagaraj Honnekeri.

pubg
Launched in 2017, the main version of the controversial game has already crossed the 100-million-download mark on Google Play Store. Wikimedia Commons

The circular says that awareness needs to be created among parents and guardians about the social media apps in the interest of safety and security of students.

Also Read: Moon, Mercury May Have Far More Water Ice Than Previously Thought

“…awareness needs to be be created among the parents, guardians and the children in not to download or use Tik Tok app and PUBG game. The app and the game create the issue of safety and security of children in the state of Goa,” the circular reads, adding that preventive measures may be of “great help in saving lives”. (IANS)

Next Story

TikTok Prevents Disabled Users’ Videos From Going Viral: Report

"This was never designed to be a long-term solution, and while the intention was good, it became clear that the approach was wrong," the spokesperson told the BBC

0
tiktok
TikTok has over 54 million monthly active users (MAUs) in India. Pixabay

Chinese short video-sharing app TikTok has acknowledged that content produced by disabled users was deliberately suppressed by the firm’s moderators in a bid to prevent these users from becoming victims of bullying, the media reported.

Facing criticism, TikTok acknowledged that its approach had been flawed, the BBC reported on Tuesday, adding that the measure was exposed by the German digital rights news site Netzpolitik.

Disability rights campaigners termed the strategy “bizarre”.

A leaked extract from TikTok’s rulebook gave examples of what its moderators were instructed to be on the lookout for: disabled people, those with Down’s syndrome and autism, people with facial disfigurements, and people with other “facial problems” such as a birthmark or sight squint.

Such users were “susceptible to bullying or harassment based on their physical or mental condition”, according to the rulebook.

TikTok
The logo of the TikTok application is seen on a screen in this picture illustration taken Feb. 21, 2019. VOA

The moderators were instructed to restrict viewership of affected users’ videos to the country where they were uploaded, according to an unnamed TikTok source quoted by Netzpolitik.

The moderators were told to prevent the clips of vulnerable users from appearing in the app’s main video feed once they had reached between 6,000 to 10,000 views, said the report.

Also Read: Lenovo Decides to Expands its Range of Smart Devices in India

A spokesman for TikTok admitted that it had made the wrong choice, the BBC reported.

“Early on, in response to an increase in bullying on the app, we implemented a blunt and temporary policy,” he was quoted as saying.

“This was never designed to be a long-term solution, and while the intention was good, it became clear that the approach was wrong,” the spokesperson told the BBC. (IANS)