Never miss a story

Get subscribed to our newsletter


×
The Google name is displayed outside the company's office in London, Britain. VOA

After Samsung, Huawei has the biggest share in the global smartphone market but it now faces a huge challenge after Google barred the Chinese giant from some updates to the Android operating system.

As a result of the new restrictions introduced amid the bitterly fought US-China trade war, existing users of Huawei devices are unlikely to receive Android updates when Google introduces the next version of the operating system.


However, the existing users of Huwaei and Honor devices would be able to use the Google Play Store and security from “Google Play Protect” would keep functioning.

“The ban will accelerate Huawei’s efforts to gain self-reliance. Huawei has been focused on developing its software and app assets along the lines that it has done with its chipset business,” Prabhu Ram, Head, Industry Intelligence Group, CyberMedia Research (CMR), told IANS.

The Chinese technology giant earlier this year confirmed that it has developed its own proprietary operating systems (OS) and is ready to implement those in case its legal battle with the US leads to a ban on services like Android and Windows.

But until it rolls out any such system, the Android restrictions are likely to hit its consumer business, according to experts.

“The Android bombshell has serious implications for Huawei mobile consumer business. While it won’t affect its China business, it will impact it globally,” Ram said.


A woman stands at a Huawei booth featuring 5G technology at the PT Expo in Beijing, China, Sept. 28, 2018. VOA

“About half of Huawei’s smartphone shipments last year went to users outside of China. That’s the portion that will be impacted if it no longer has access to Google Play and Google Mobile Services,” Bryan Ma, technology industry analyst at International Data Corporation (IDC), said in a tweet.

According to a report in The Telegraph on Monday, the ban means new Huawei phones will no longer be able to access certain apps, like Google Maps and YouTube, and existing phones will not be able to update their Android operating systems.

The restrictions come after the Donald Trump administration added Huawei to a list of companies that American firms cannot trade with unless they have a licence.

Also Read- Swedish Authorities Request Detention Order for WikiLeak’s Assange

It also means loss of Android licence for Huawei, forcing it to use the open source version of the operating system.

“Huawei has made substantial contributions to development and growth of Android around the world. As one of Android’s key global partners, we have worked closely with their open-source platform to develop an ecosystem that has benefited both users and the industry,” the company said.

Huawei said it would continue to provide security updates and after-sales services to existing Huawei and Honor smartphone and tablet products, covering all the devices sold as well as in stock globally. (IANS)


Popular

Unsplash

Robots evolve to do more work around us

As robots evolve to do more work around us, the UK-based humanoid robot manufacturer Engineered Arts has infused more human-like facial expressions into one of its robots, which may leave you with an eerie feeling.

In a video posted on YouTube, the robot called 'Ameca' displays various human expressions, like appearing to "wake up" from sleep, as its face shows confusion and frustration when it opens its eyes.

Follow NewsGram on Twitter to stay updated about the World news.

Keep Reading Show less
Unsplash

The Microsoft office

Microsoft has disrupted the activities of a China-based hacking group, gaining control of the malicious websites the group used to attack organisations in the US and 28 other countries around the world.

The Microsoft Digital Crimes Unit (DCU) said in a statement that a federal court in Virginia granted its request to seize websites of the hacking group called 'Nickel', enabling the company to cut off Nickel's access to its victims and prevent the websites from being used to execute attacks.

Keep Reading Show less
Unsplash

MediaTek's plans to boost technology democratisation and enable access to disruptive connectivity

Chip manufacturer MediaTek on Monday announced that it is focused on making 2022 a year aimed at rapid growth, business success, substantial expansion in Research and Development capabilities.

MediaTek's plans to boost technology democratisation and enable access to disruptive connectivity with its range of mainstream to flagship 5G chips.

"We at MediaTek are focused on making 2022 a year aimed at rapid growth, business success, and substantial expansion in our R&D capabilities. For 2022, we are focused on further strengthening our presence in India, offering incredible experiences to customers, and supporting the country's technology initiatives with our expertise and collaboration with leading OEMs," Anku Jain, Managing Director, MediaTek India said in a statement.

Follow NewsGram on LinkedIn to know what's happening around the world.

In the flagship segment, MediaTek recently announced the Dimensity 9000 chip, which is a milestone of innovation and a rise to the incredible, built-to-power flagship 5G smartphones in the world, the company claims.

MediaTek Dimensity 9000 features a single Cortex-X2 performance core clocked at 3.05GHz, three Cortex-A710 cores at 2.85GHz and four Cortex-A510 efficiency cores at 1.8GHz.

It packs a 10-core Arm Mali-G710 that takes care of graphics processing, the report said.

Keep reading... Show less