Wednesday March 20, 2019
Home Lead Story Google CEO Su...

Google CEO Sundar Pichai Bets Big on YouTube For Future Growth

In late 2018, about three in four (74 per cent) Google employees said they were “positive,” as opposed to “neutral” or “negative”, about Pichai’s ability to effectively lead the company

0
//
CEO of Google
Google's CEO Sundar Pichai. Wikimedia

With nearly two billion monthly logged-in users, video-streaming platform YouTube is poised to bring in big moolah for Google in the coming years, the company’s CEO Sundar Pichai hinted in an earnings call with analysts on Monday.

Google’s advertising business accounted for $32.6 billion of its parent company Alphabet’s overall revenue of $39.3 billion for the fourth quarter of 2018 — an increase of 22 per cent from the same period a year ago.

Google-owned YouTube played a key role in the rise of the company’s revenue, Pichai acknowledged, while desisting from giving actual numbers on the platform’s contribution.

“We are seeing great traction in some of our newer experiences on YouTube,” Pichai said in response to a question.

His remarks came when Google is pushing its subscription services, especially YouTube Music and YouTube Premium.

Google, smart compose
The Google name is displayed outside the company’s office in London, Britain. VOA

The YouTube Premium service allows users to view videos without ads. For those who want to watch the videos later offline, the service also allows them to download the videos.

YouTube music and YouTube Premium are now available in nearly 30 countries, up from five countries at the start of 2018.

Besides these services, there is also YouTube TV which is currently limited to the US.

In January, YouTube TV announced that it was expanding to cover 98 per cent of US households with the rest to follow shortly.

“YouTube continues to invest in its thriving community of creators and build great features for its nearly two billion monthly log in users,” Pichai said.

YouTube, Google, google services
The YouTube Music app is displayed on a mobile phone in Los Angeles. VOA

“We are driving revenue to the YouTube creator community from established channels to newly emerging ones,” Pichai said, ading that the number of YouTube channels with more than one million subscribers nearly doubled in the last year, and the number of creators earning five or six figures grew by more than 40 per cent year-over-year.

The Google CEO who lost some of his shine among the company’s employees in recent times according to the company’s latest annual survey on employee satisfaction also addressed YouTube challenges of controlling misinformation.

“A big priority for YouTube in 2019 is to continue our work to quickly find and remove content that violates YouTube’s content guidelines,” Pichai said.

Also Read- Lack Of Data Privacy Makes India Unprepared To Deal With Misuse of Technology

“It’s an important challenge and with advanced machine learning and investments in human reviewers, we are making continued progress,” he added.

In late 2018, about three in four (74 per cent) Google employees said they were “positive,” as opposed to “neutral” or “negative”, about Pichai’s ability to effectively lead the company, down from 92 per cent “positive” the year before, according to Google’s latest annual survey on employee satisfaction. (IANS)

Next Story

New Zealand Firms to Pull Ads From Facebook, Google

Spark's move was part of an international response, which also saw Disney and Nestle pull ads from the site

0
Google, smart compose
The Google name is displayed outside the company's office in London, Britain. VOA

A collective of some of New Zealand’s biggest companies is set to pull ads from Facebook and Google in the wake of the March 15 Christchurch mosques shootings in which the gunman live-streamed his massacre of 50 people.

Using a GoPro camera, the gunman broadcast extremely graphic footage of him shooting people at the Al Noor Mosque via Facebook Live. The livestream was available to watch on social media for hours after the attack.

Besides being livestreamed on Facebook, the video, lasting 17 minutes, was shared repeatedly on YouTube and Twitter, before being removed by the social media giant.

The New Zealand Herald said on Monday that the collective, including ASB Bank, Lotto NZ, Burger King, Spark, has come together to take a stand against the harm caused by unmoderated content on the Internet.

At this stage, it is still unclear how extensive the pull-back will be or for how long the companies are likely to pull their digital ads.

Other brands have also acted independently, The New Zealand Herald reported.

facebook
Facebook: The platform allows for different types of content, which makes it ideal for diverse, interactive and entertaining content.

Kiwibank suspended all digital advertising on March 15 shortly after the carnage took place at the Al Noor mosque and the Linwood Avenue Masjid that also left over 40 others injured.

On Sunday, New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said that she intended to ask Facebook how the gunman was able to livestream the massacre.

Facebook has on its part said that as many as 1.5 million videos of the attack were removed from its platform in the first 24 hours.

Also Read- Here’s How Motorola Lost its Grip in India

This is not the first time New Zealand companies have pulled ads from these platforms.

Earlier this month, telecom company Spark pulled all its advertising from YouTube over concerns about paedophilic content.

Spark’s move was part of an international response, which also saw Disney and Nestle pull ads from the site. (IANS)