Wednesday June 26, 2019
Home Lead Story Google Search...

Google Search to Rank Sites by Their Mobile Versions

Google said it is pleased to see that “mobile-first indexing” has come a long way

0
//
Google, smart compose
The Google name is displayed outside the company's office in London, Britain. VOA

Google has announced that starting July 1, all new websites would be analysed and ranked on Search on the basis of “mobile-first indexing”.

“Mobile-first indexing” means Google would consider the mobile version of any new website for evaluating, indexing and ranking the site, instead of the desktop version which was used primarily.

“We’re happy to announce that ‘mobile-first indexing’ will be enabled by default for all new, previously unknown to Google Search websites, starting July 1, 2019,” John Mueller, Developer Advocate, Google, wrote in a blog-post on Tuesday.

Google on an Android device. Pixabay

For older and existing websites, Google would determine their readiness for “mobile-first indexing” based on the parity of content including text, images, videos, links and structured data as well as other meta-data-like titles and descriptions.

“We will notify them through Search Console once they’re seen as being ready. Since the default state for new websites will be ‘mobile-first indexing’, there’s no need to send a notification,” Mueller said.

Also Read- Tech Giant Apple to Release iOS 13, Major Upgrades

Google said it is pleased to see that “mobile-first indexing” has come a long way.

“We’re happy to see how the web has evolved from being focused on desktop to becoming mobile-friendly, and now to being mostly crawlable and indexable with mobile user-agents,” Muller said. (IANS)

Next Story

‘My Greatest Mistake’: Bill Gates Regrets Microsoft Losing on Android

Gates stepped down as the CEO in 2000 and as Chief Software Architect in 2008. Satya Nadella took over as the company's CEO in 2014

0
Businessman Bill Gates exits through the lobby at Trump Tower in Manhattan, New York City, Dec. 13, 2016. (VOA)

Microsoft co-founder and philanthropist Bill Gates has said that his “greatest mistake ever” was the company losing on the Android opportunity, which has costed Microsoft nearly $400 billion and made Google the real winner.

In an interview during an event hosted by venture capital firm Village Global, Gates revealed that the mistake was to allow Google to develop Android and not creating a profitable model themselves, reports TechCrunch.

“In the software world, particularly for platforms, these are winner-take-all markets. So the greatest mistake ever is whatever mismanagement I engaged in that caused Microsoft not to be what Android is. That is, Android is the standard non-Apple phone platform. That was a natural thing for Microsoft to win,” Gates told Eventbrite cofounder and CEO Julia Hartz.

“If you’re there with half as many apps or 90 per cent as many apps, you’re on your way to complete doom. There’s room for exactly one non-Apple operating system and what’s that worth? $400 billion that would be transferred from company G (Google) to company M (Microsoft),” he emphasised.

microsoft, foldable surface
FILE – A sign for Microsoft is seen on a building in Cambridge, Massachusetts, March 18, 2017. VOA

Google acquired Android for just $50 million in 2005. The original iPhone came out in 2007 and the first Android device was released in 2008.

Android today has 85 per cent of the smartphone OS market and Microsoft Windows OS-based devices are nowhere to be seen.

Also Read: Spotify Paying Tax on Less Than 1% of Paid Subscribers: Apple

Microsoft has asked its users to switch to an Android or iOS device as it announced the end of support for Windows 10 Mobile.

The company told users that Windows 10 Mobile will stop receiving new security updates after December 10.

Gates stepped down as the CEO in 2000 and as Chief Software Architect in 2008. Satya Nadella took over as the company’s CEO in 2014. (IANS)