Tuesday December 11, 2018
Home Lead Story Google’...

Google’s Censored Search Engine For China A ‘Stupid Move’ Says Ex-Employee

The tech giant had launched a search engine in China in 2006, but pulled the service out of the country in 2010, citing Chinese government efforts to limit free speech and block websites

0
//
Google maps
Google releases Chrome 71, takes aim at deceptive websites. Pixabay
Republish
Reprint

Google’s reported plan to launch a censored version of its search engine in China has come under heavy criticism from a former Asia-Pacific head of the company’s free expression issues who called it a “stupid move”.

“This is just a really bad idea, a stupid, stupid move. I feel compelled to speak out and say that this is not right,” The Intercept quoted Lokman Tsui as saying on Friday.

Tsui was Google’s head of free expression for Asia and the Pacific between 2011 and 2014.

The news about Google’s plan to build a censored search engine broke last week.

Codenamed “Dragonfly”, the search platform would blacklist “sensitive queries” about topics including politics, free speech, democracy, human rights and peaceful protest, according to a previous report by The Intercept.

Google
Google is yet to officially confirm or deny the search engine project. Pixabay

“I can’t see a way to operate Google search in China without violating widely held international human rights standards,” the report quoted Tsui as saying.

Google is yet to officially confirm or deny the search engine project.

You May Also Like to Read About The Speakers- Bixby-powered Samsung Galaxy Home Smart Speaker: A Mix of Elegant Design And Surround Sound Delivered by Six Built-in Speakers

Tsui said that if Google goes ahead with the censored search engine project, it would go against its publicly stated ethos.

The tech giant had launched a search engine in China in 2006, but pulled the service out of the country in 2010, citing Chinese government efforts to limit free speech and block websites. (IANS)

Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2018 NewsGram

Next Story

OPPO Showcases 5G Prototype of its Find X Smartphone in China

OPPO said it was also in talks with telecom service providers in Europe, Australia and other overseas markets, with plans to launch commercial 5G products next year

0
OPPO
OPPO unveils 5G prototype of Find X smartphone. (Wikimedia Commons)

Chinese smartphone maker OPPO said it showcased in China a 5G prototype of its flagship Find X smartphone.

The OPPO Find X 5G prototype, powered by Snapdragon 855 and X50 5G modem, was unveiled at the 2018 China Mobile Global Partners Conference, which was held here from December 6-8.

“We are confident OPPO will be one of the first companies to launch commercial 5G smartphones in 2019,” said Brian Shen, OPPO Global Vice President and President of China Business.

OPPO said it would work together with industry partners worldwide to develop a new 5G ecosystem.

At the event, OPPO, chip-making giant Qualcomm and Keysight Technologies Inc., a leading electronic measurement company, demonstrated 5G data connectivity and applications including browsing, online video replay and video call using the Find X 5G prototype, the handset maker said.

OPPO
OPPO said it would work together with industry partners worldwide to develop a new 5G ecosystem. (IANS)

The OPPO Find X flagship smartphone was launched earlier this year.

In building a 5G ecosystem, OPPO said it would continue deepening its collaboration with Qualcomm, network infrastructure manufacturers, telecom service providers and other supply chain partners.

Also Read- Here’s How Exercise Can Help Breast Cancer Survivors

In China, OPPO is in a strategic partnership with China Mobile to accelerate the commercialisation of 5G devices and build a new ecosystem for the 5G industry through China Mobile’s “5G Device Forerunner Initiative”.

OPPO said it was also in talks with telecom service providers in Europe, Australia and other overseas markets, with plans to launch commercial 5G products next year. (IANS)