New Delhi: The government is taking specific action on the basis of information provided by whistleblowers in its measures to tackle black money stashed abroad, parliament was told on Tuesday.
Certain persons, claiming to be whistleblowers, have made an offer of assistance in the investigation of black money stashed away abroad.
Minister of State for Finance Jayant Sinha expressed the union government’s plans in this regard, in the Rajya Sabha in a written reply.
The government has taken specific steps in this regard. Disclosure of the steps taken, at this stage, would not be in the interest of further investigation, he said.
In a separate reply, he said the government has initiated various steps to deal with black money stashed abroad, including setting up of a special investigation team (SIT) and enacting a new law to deal with black money in off-shore accounts.
The minister also said 669 prosecutions related to tax evasion were launched in 2014-15, up from 641 in the previous fiscal.
“Prosecution complaints under applicable provisions of the Income Tax Act, 1961, have been filed in appropriate cases,” Sinha said, adding the new black money law, with stricter penalty and prosecution provisions, had come into force from July 1. (IANS)
New Delhi, October 24, 2017: The National Investigation Agency (NIA) is all set to charge sheet the controversial Islamic preacher Zakir Naik for his alleged involvement in money laundering and terror funding activities in India.
As per officials, all formalities to file the charge sheet against Naik have been completed and will be duly submitted before a special court within this week.
The evangelical preacher with an active television presence first came under the lens of security forces following confessions by some terrorists in Bangladesh allegedly involved in the attacks on a café in Dhaka in last July. The perpetrators had claimed that they were reportedly inspired by Naik’s hate speeches.
Following the allegations, the Islamic –preacher had fled from India on July 1, 2016, and continues to live outside the country.
Consequently, on November 18, 2016, the NIA had registered a case in its Mumbai branch against Zakir Naik under multiple sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) and Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act. Previously, Islamic Research Foundation (IRF), Zakir Naik’s NGO based in Mumbai has also been declared an unlawful organization as per the directives of the Union Home Ministry.
It was alleged that Zakir Naik and his connections were allegedly indulging in ‘unlawful activities’ that were proving to be hazardous for the country and its youth.
In an official statement in April this year, the Enforcement Directorate had said that Zakir Naik “through his provocative utterance (is) promoting enmity and hatred between different religious groups in India.”
The statement had also said that “His inflammatory speeches and lectures have inspired and incited a number of Muslim youths in India to commit unlawful activities and terrorist acts.”
All these charges were repeatedly denied by Naik.
Additionally, the Ministry of External Affairs also revoked Zakir Naik’s passport on behest of the NIA earlier this year.
The NIA had also thrice issued notices to Zakir Naik to cooperate and join the investigations. However, he did not comply and did not appear before it.
Zakir Naik’s NGO has been alleged to hold ‘dubious’ links to an international Islamic TV channel ‘Peace TV’ accused of propagating terrorism. Naik was also alleged to have to transferred IRF’s international funding to the TV channel to make ‘objectionable’ programmes.
As per the Home Ministry, Zakir Naik has made multiple hate speeches that provoke people to engage in terrorist propaganda. It has been previously revealed that a handful of Indian youth allegedly inspired by Naik, have left their homes to join Islamic State forces.
Zakir Naik’s speeches are banned in US, Malaysia, and Canada.
The televangelist, who had fled the country in July last year after his name had surfaced during a probe into the Bangladesh terror attacks, continues to live in Saudi Arabia and is now being probed by the NIA under charges of money laundering and terror funding.
Ahmedabad, October 13, 2017 : Breaking his silence, BJP president Amit Shah rejected allegations of money laundering against his son Jay Shah whose company had reportedly recorded an extraordinary spike in business after the BJP came to power at the Centre, and asserted that it had not done any business with the government nor taken any kickbacks.
He also said that unlike the Congress, which had faced many corruption charges in the past, his son has shown courage to file a civil and criminal defamation suit on the allegations levelled against him and “invited a probe against himself” by this step.
“There is no money laundering involved in Jay’s company. This company is completely in commodity business, where turnover is more while the profit is less. We have exported bajra, corn and rice while coriander was imported. And after doing a turnover of Rs 80 crore, they don’t tell how much they made profit,” Amit Shah said at an “India Today” event “Gujarat Panchayat”.
Answering questions, he said that after making a turnover of Rs 80 crore, Jay made a loss of Rs 1.5 crore. “Where has money laundering been done? All the transactions happened through cheques and banks,” he said.
Asked about Jay Shah filing a defamation suit against the publication, Shah said: “Before answering your question I would like to ask you one thing. After Independence, how many corruption charges have been made against the Congress?
“Please understand this is not corruption. Many allegations of corruption were made against the Congress. Did it ever file a civil suit or defamation suit? No. Why they lacked such courage? Today Jay has filed a defamation as well as civil suit and is demanding a probe himself. Those who have the evidence can submit it to the court, and then the court will decide,” the BJP president said.
He said: “We have ourselves invited a probe and on the company issue I want to clarify that it has not done business with the government of even Re 1 nor taken any government land or tender. Neither has it received kickbacks as in the case of Bofors.”
When asked about Jay’s company securing unsecured loans, Shah said it was not unsecured loans. “It was a line of credit,” he added. (IANS)
The way for construction of Ram Temple will be either through mutual agreement, talks or through a court decision
Shah said aside from the reserves allocated to Uttar Pradesh, the Union government had offered its coffers for the state to prosper
Shah mocked the media speculation that Shivpal Singh was hitching himself to the party bandwagon.
New Delhi, August 1, 2017: On Monday, Amit Shah, BJP’s National Presidentsaid a fabulous Ram temple is going to be built in Ayodhya, the route for which can be through mutual agreement, talks, or a decision of the court.
On his visit’s last day to the capital of Uttar Pradesh, Shah addressed the media and said that establishment of this Ayodhya temple was the agenda’s part of Bharatiya Janata Party.
He complimented the government of Yogi Adityanath at the state level and its performance and told everyone that within three months, the governance had made people observe a noticeable transition.
“It is a coincidence that as I speak to you, three years of the Narendra Modi government at the Centre and three months of the Yogi Aditynath government in the state have been completed,” the chief of BJP said, complimenting the performance of both of them.
Shah mocked the speculation of media that Shivpal Singh, Mulayam Singh Yadav’s younger brother, and senior leader of Samajwadi Party (SP), was trying to hitch himself to the bandwagon of the party.
Accompanied by state BJP chief and Deputy Chief Minister Keshav Prasad Maurya, and Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath, Shah also made a claim that Modi had appeared as the most renowned Indian Prime Minister ever all thanks to his eradication of black money, courageous decisions, and good governance.
Shah also endeavored to end the supposition about Maurya of being moved as a Union minister to the Centre, saying that when the chief of a state party was chosen, Maurya would allocate all his time to the government at state.
He also made an attempt to rubbish the charges put by the opposition by saying that having dinner at a Yadav worker’s house, he was singling out politics on caste.
“Sonu Yadav is a party booth worker, and just as I go to eat at any other place, I went to his house and had food… No politics should be read in this,” he further added.
Shah put the blame on the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) as well as the former Samajwadi Party governments at the state level of the turmoil in Uttar Pradesh, saying that they had together presided over frauds of Rs 12 lakh crore. “There is not one finger raised at us as the government is working with transparency,” he said.
The chief of BJP said there did not exist any of party’s names in those Panama leaks, and the Special Investigation Team was examining the leaks of Panama Papers in any circumstance.
Shah said aside from the reserves allotted to Uttar Pradesh, the Union government had offered its coffers so that the state can grow and develop.
-prepared by Harsimran Kaur of NewsGram. Twitter @Hkaur1025