Tuesday December 18, 2018
Home Uncategorized Guen-hye warn...

Guen-hye warns North Korea to abandon n-deal programme

0
//
Republish
Reprint

Seoul: South Korean President Park Geun-hye on Wednesday warned North Korea of facing harsher sanctions unless it abandons its nuclear weapons programme, Yonhap news agency reported.

North Korea has long been under an array of US and international sanctions for its nuclear and missile programmes.

However, the country has rejected repeated international calls to give up its nuclear programme, viewing it as a powerful deterrent against what it claims is the US’s hostile policy against it.

“International sanctions on North Korea will become harsher as long as it does not give up its nuclear programme, which in turn could eventually heighten the instability of the North Korean regime,” Park said.

She also urged North Korea to come forward for dialogue as she vowed to step up efforts to resume talks.

She also urged North Korea to come forward for dialogue as she vowed to step up efforts to resume talks.

The two Koreas last held high-level talks in February 2014.

(IANS)

Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2015 NewsGram

Next Story

Korea To Survey Railways That Were Cut During The Korean War

The projects are among many agreements reached between South Korean President Moon Jae-in and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un

0
Korea, Railways
A South Korean train transporting South Korean officials runs on rails that lead to North Korea inside the demilitarized zone separating the two Koreas in Paju, South Korea. VOA

A South Korean train entered to North Korea on Friday as the two countries began inspecting northern railways tracks they hope to relink with the south.

About 30 officials from each side will participate in an 18-day joint survey of railways tracks cut since the Korean War.

“We will maintain close consultation with related nations so that the project to connect the South and North’s railways could proceed with international support,” South Korean Unification Minister Cho Myoung-gyon said during a ceremony at Dorasan Station near the border.

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, left, and South Korean President Moon Jae.
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, left, and South Korean President Moon Jae. VOA

The Koreas, however, cannot proceed much further with the project without the removal of U.S.-led sanctions against the North.The U.S. has said the sanctions will remain until North Korea takes convincing measures toward full denuclearization.

The UN Security Council granted exemptions to sanctions last week, allowing the implementation of the cross-border infrastructure project.

Also on Friday, the North and South militaries completed removing 20 front-line guard posts and land mines from a border area where they plan to start their first-ever joint search for remains of soldiers killed during the 1950-53 Korean War, according to an official from Seoul’s Defense Ministry who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Also Read: North Korea Open To Nuclear Site Inspection: Report

The projects are among many agreements reached between South Korean President Moon Jae-in and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un during their three meetings this year, as part of a diplomatic initiative that eased tensions over the North’s nuclear program. (VOA)