When we talk about Holi there are 2 things which automatically comes to mind, the month of colors and the food festival. Everything starts and ends with food, not only food gives us the reason to live but the reason to live passionately and there are the lot of lip-smacking traditional Holi dishes which you must at least try once.
Holi is just not a festival of colors but a festival of joy and happiness so how can one miss the delicious food of Holi when food itself says- Color me!
ALSO READ: Festivity of Holi has now gone Global
Here comes the first on the list, Gujiya which is actually the traditional food of Holi. It is prepared by khoya, nuts, jaggery and certain fillings.
How it is prepared
- 1 cup wheat flour
- ½ tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoon ghee
- 1/3 cup of water
- Powdered sugar
- Dry fruits
- Cardamom powder
Tired of going to the market and purchasing these ingredients from the store? Opt for Online grocery shopping to get your orders delivered at your doorsteps, at cheaper rates with the help of these big basket promo codes, wherein you can get up to 50% cashback on your orders.
- Crumble and grate khoya
- Chop the dry fruits
- Melt ½ teaspoon ghee in a pan
- Add the grated khoya
- Stir the khoya
- Add powdered sugar
- Mix everything well and keep it aside
- Mix the wheat and salt in a bowl
- Heat the ghee in a pan and mix the same with flours
- Make a dough and then keep it aside for 30 minutes
- Divide the dough into 2 parts
- Roll the dough into a palm and make balls
- Add the fillings in the gujiya pastry and deep fry it.
Note: If you are calorie conscious then you can brush the necessary oil and then put in the oven. You can have this with bread or chapatti.
Furthermore, you can also check out this video to understand the cooking process better.
- Crisp Snacks
Holi is incomplete without snacks. Like what will you do if there is nothing in namkeen to eat? Sweets can’t really fill your stomach! Crisp snacks like Namakpaare or shakkar pare can be an option.
How it is Prepared (Namakpare)
- Refined Flour
- Thymol seeds
- Clarified oil
- Mix the thymol seeds, salt, semolina, butter and flour correctly
- Knead into a stiff dough
- After leaving for 15 minutes, roll out the dough and make a thin sheet
- Cut into narrow strips of the desired size
- Heat the oil and put the dough into it
- Deep fry and then leave the same for sometimes
Note: You can store this for as long as you want and one can eat namakpaare with tea.
ALSO READ: History behind the festival of colors, Holi
Payasam and Holi go hand in hand, Holi is actually incomplete without Payasaam in Kerela. A Punjabi dish with the flavors of Kelera makes it just perfect of 2 worlds.
How is it prepared?
- Condensed milk
- Rose petals
- Rose Water
These ingredients can be easily bought from your local market as well as from any of the major online sites like a big basket, grofers or even amazon pantry as well.
- Soak rice in water and leave for 30 minutes
- Drain water to grind a fine paste
- Add milk and paste to heat together, stir constantly and then cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Add elaichi and rose water to bring the flavor.
- Dahi Vada
Having a chatpata dish with your meal is just so relishing right? Preparing Dahi vada is so awful during Holi. Imagine you are ready after playing Holi, all set with new clothes on and serving yourself with chilled Dahi vada!
How is it prepared?
- Soaked urad ki Dal
- Yogurt (beaten)
- Cumin seeds
- Coriander leaves
- Chaat masala, red chili, black pepper
- Beat daal properly to make it fluffy
- Shape the Wadas and fry in the deep oil till they turn brown
- Mix the salt, pepper. Chaat masala, red chili, and yogurt
- Deep fry it and then serve after squeezing the balls
- Add the balls in chilled cured and add black pepper, red chilli to make it tastier
Note: One can eat this with any dish or with a proper meal with chapatti and sabzi.
Yes, yes, how can we forget Thandaai in Holi? It is the mandatory drink which is again a traditional drink prepared during Holi.
How is it prepared?
- Full cream milk
- Rose Petals
- Poppy seeds
- Black pepper
- Fennel seeds
- First take all the things together poppy seeds, almonds, fennel seeds, cardamom and black pepper and blend them together to make powder.
- Now mix the powder will milk and mix well.
- Keep the same in the refrigerator for 2 hours
- Serve chilled in glasses
Note: Drink with this gujjiya to experience the exotic flavor.
These were the best of 5 traditional dishes which is prepared during Holi and without these dishes Holi is incomplete. Whether it be any drink or food item, make them more delicious with lots of love for your relatives or friends.