Get subscribed to our newsletter
Get interesting updates to your email inbox.
A Hong Kong museum commemorating the 1989 student-led democracy movement in China and the subsequent massacre of unarmed civilians by the People’s Liberation Army (PLA) in Beijing three decades ago has reopened “against all odds,” despite being repeatedly forced to relocate amid growing political pressure.
Now located in Kowloon’s working-class district of Mong Kok, the June 4 Memorial Museum was forced out of its previous premises following a lengthy legal dispute with the building’s landlords, which the organizers believe was politically motivated.
“In China, the Communist Party attempts to erase people’s memory of this historical event and bans any discussion,” museum organizers Hong Kong Alliance in Support of Patriotic Democratic Movements of China said in a statement at the reopening.
“In Hong Kong, we still have room for freedom of expression. Thus, we bear a greater responsibility to preserve history,” it said.
Since the massacre of civilians with machine guns and tanks began 30 years ago on the night of June 3, 1989, the Alliance has campaigned for a reappraisal of the ruling Communist Party’s verdict of “counterrevolutionary rebellion,” which the Chinese leadership under late supreme leader Deng Xiaoping used to justify the bloodshed.
Hong Kong is the only Chinese city that still holds regular memorial events for the victims of the massacre, including the Alliance’s mass candlelight vigil in downtown Victoria Park.
“Against all odds, Hong Kong Alliance is now reopening the June 4th Museum ,the only place in China where the truth about June 4 can be told,” the Museum announced on April 30, the anniversary of a key editorial in the People’s Daily newspaper branding the movement “counterrevolutionary” and paving the way for the fall of liberal premier Zhao Ziyang.
“Only by telling the truth, protecting memory, learning from history, distinguishing between right and wrong, and upholding justice can such a criminal tragedy be prevented from happening again,” it said.
The new museum features a clock at the entrance showing the number of years, months, days, hours, minutes, and seconds since the massacre began.
‘Preserve the truth’
Hong Kong lawmaker and rights lawyer Albert Ho, who heads the Alliance, said the museum represents hope for the future.
“The most important aim is to preserve the truth, and to continue to speak that truth to power,” Ho told RFA. “The entire museum is organized around three key themes: the first is memory, we absolutely will not forget.”
“History can only be shown respect through accurate remembering, which brings hope for the future,” he said. “The second part is about justice, which we are continuing to fight for, and the apportioning of responsibility.”
“The third is the future,” he said. “We can only achieve a bright future through the study of history.” Hong Kong resident Cheung Wing-fai, who took part in the 1989 student movement, said the museum also wants to ensure that the next generation of Chinese people and non-Chinese people know about the Tiananmen massacre.
“I think I have to stand up for what I believe in, so I will find as much time as I can to do that,” Cheung said. “Thirty years ago, I led my students to the demonstrations, but now they are all adults with jobs and families.”
“I will tell them that the museum is now open, so they can bring their sons and daughters here if they want to do that,” he said. “They may not have the same views, but at least they have that option.” “That’s the whole point of this museum,” Cheung said.
Calls for democracy
The student-led protests in the spring and early summer of 1989 brought central Beijing to a standstill, with hundreds of thousands of people taking to the streets to call for greater democracy and an end to official corruption.
Organizers have previously said they suspect that Beijing may be behind a series of complaints and disputes against the museum, where landlords have accused it of breaching zoning regulations, and local residents have complained about the potential disturbance from visitors.
The museum drew more than 20,000 visitors in the first two years of its existence, with its first opening marking the 25th anniversary of the massacre. Around half of its visitors come from mainland China, which has erased references to the bloodshed from official accounts and bans public debate or memorials for victims.
The museum’s exhibits include photographs of the protests and massacre, touching mementos saved from the scene, and a two-meter replica of the towering Goddess of Democracy statue that featured in the protests.
Hong Kong was promised the continuation of its existing freedoms and separate legal jurisdiction for 50 years under the “one country, two systems” pledge from Beijing.
But there are signs that those freedoms may already be eroding, following the imprisonment of former participants in Hong Kong’s 2014 democracy movement and the removal of six opposition lawmakers from the city’s Legislative Council.
Last weekend, more than 100,000 people protested over planned legislative amendments which will allow the rendition of criminal suspects requested by mainland China in the absence of an extradition agreement.
Under the terms of the 1997 handover to China, Hong Kong was promised the continuation of its traditional freedoms of the press and of speech and association, as well as an independent judiciary and separate legal system, a framework that has sheltered peaceful critics of Beijing until now. (RFA)
Reported by Lee Wang-yam for RFA’s Cantonese Service, and by the Mandarin Service. Translated and edited by Luisetta Mudie.
As robots evolve to do more work around us, the UK-based humanoid robot manufacturer Engineered Arts has infused more human-like facial expressions into one of its robots, which may leave you with an eerie feeling.
In a video posted on YouTube, the robot called 'Ameca' displays various human expressions, like appearing to "wake up" from sleep, as its face shows confusion and frustration when it opens its eyes.
Follow NewsGram on Twitter to stay updated about the World news.
Once awake, 'Ameca' starts looking at its hands and arms, opens its mouth and raises its eyebrows, just like a human does.
At the end of the video, Ameca smiles and holds a welcoming hand out towards the viewer.
According to Engineered Arts, the humanoid bot is currently unable to walk and it is working towards giving it the ability in the near future.
"Designed specifically as a platform for development into future robotics technologies, 'Ameca' is the perfect humanoid robot platform for human-robot interaction," says the company.
The 'Ameca' hardware is a development based on its own research into humanoid robotics and built on its advanced 'Mesmer' technology.
Ameca' on display at the CES 2022 conference in Las Vegas in the US in January.Unsplash
Also read: NASA humanoid robot dances to technology
Engineered Arts is slated to put 'Ameca' on display at the CES 2022 conference in Las Vegas in the US in January.
"Human-like Artificial Intelligence needs a human-like artificial body. Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning systems can be tested and developed on Ameca alongside our powerful 'Tritium' robot operating system," the company posted on its website. (IANS/PR)
(Keywords: Humanoid Robot, Ameca, Technology)
Microsoft has disrupted the activities of a China-based hacking group, gaining control of the malicious websites the group used to attack organisations in the US and 28 other countries around the world.
The Microsoft Digital Crimes Unit (DCU) said in a statement that a federal court in Virginia granted its request to seize websites of the hacking group called 'Nickel', enabling the company to cut off Nickel's access to its victims and prevent the websites from being used to execute attacks.
Follow NewsGram on LinkedIn to know what's happening around the world.
"We believe these attacks were largely being used for intelligence gathering from government agencies, think tanks and human rights organisations," said Tom Burt, Corporate Vice President, Customer Security and Trust at Microsoft.
Obtaining control of the malicious websites and redirecting traffic from those sites to Microsoft's secure servers will help the company protect existing and future victims while learning more about Nickel's activities.
Also Read : Fortnite : A Gold Mine for Hackers
"Our disruption will not prevent Nickel from continuing other hacking activities, but we do believe we have removed a key piece of the infrastructure the group has been relying on for this latest wave of attacks," Burt said late on Monday.
To date, in 24 lawsuits - five against nation-state actors -- Microsoft has taken down more than 10,000 malicious websites used by cybercriminals and nearly 600 sites used by nation-state actors.
"We have also successfully blocked the registration of 600,000 sites to get ahead of criminal actors that planned to use them maliciously in the future," the tech giant informed.
"We believe these attacks were largely being used for intelligence gathering from government agencies, think tanks and human rights organisations."Unsplash
In some observed activity, Nickel malware used exploits targeting unpatched on-premises Exchange Server and SharePoint systems.
"However, we have not observed any new vulnerabilities in Microsoft products as part of these attacks. Microsoft has created unique signatures to detect and protect from known Nickel activity through our security products, like Microsoft 365 Defender," the company noted.
Nickel has targeted organisations in both the private and public sectors, including diplomatic organisations and ministries of foreign affairs in North America, Central America, South America, the Caribbean, Europe and Africa. (IANS/SP)
(Keywords : hacking, China, Microsoft, website, victim, intelligence, attack, malicious, traffic, server, company, disruption, lawsuits, cybercriminals, vulnerability.)
- Chinese Cyber Operations Scoop Up Data For Political, Economic ... ›
- Hackers Steal $120mn In Crypto From Blockchain-based DeFi ... ›
Chip manufacturer MediaTek on Monday announced that it is focused on making 2022 a year aimed at rapid growth, business success, substantial expansion in Research and Development capabilities.
MediaTek's plans to boost technology democratisation and enable access to disruptive connectivity with its range of mainstream to flagship 5G chips.
"We at MediaTek are focused on making 2022 a year aimed at rapid growth, business success, and substantial expansion in our R&D capabilities. For 2022, we are focused on further strengthening our presence in India, offering incredible experiences to customers, and supporting the country's technology initiatives with our expertise and collaboration with leading OEMs," Anku Jain, Managing Director, MediaTek India said in a statement.
Follow NewsGram on LinkedIn to know what's happening around the world.
In the flagship segment, MediaTek recently announced the Dimensity 9000 chip, which is a milestone of innovation and a rise to the incredible, built-to-power flagship 5G smartphones in the world, the company claims.
MediaTek Dimensity 9000 features a single Cortex-X2 performance core clocked at 3.05GHz, three Cortex-A710 cores at 2.85GHz and four Cortex-A510 efficiency cores at 1.8GHz.
It packs a 10-core Arm Mali-G710 that takes care of graphics processing, the report said.
The chipset also comes packed with MediaTek's fifth-generation APU with six total cores for AI processing.Unsplash
Also read: Realme Unveils First 5G Smartphone
The chipset also comes packed with MediaTek's fifth-generation APU with six total cores for AI processing.
The chipset can handle screens with up to a 180Hz refresh rate at Full HD+ resolutions. It is also the first chipset to have an 18-bit image signal processor, offering the ability to capture 4K HDR video using up to three cameras at the same time, or still photos using up to a massive 320MP sensor. (IANS/PR)
(Keywords: 5G, smartphones, Mediatek)