Detoxing may be important but it is also important to do it the right way.
Evelyn Toner, senior specialist dietitian at London Bridge Hospital, dishes up the truth on detox diets and offers her top five tips for detoxing the healthy way, reports femalefirst.co.uk.
“Detox diets may lead to weight loss due to their extreme nature, calorie restriction and the fact that they cut out whole food groups. There is no evidence for them, the weight loss is not sustainable and is usually regained once a normal diet is resumed,” said Toner.
However, to keep the body functioning well, optimise health, increase energy levels and improve skin, hair and nails, follow the four tips below:
* Include a variety of fruit and vegetables every day: The more colourful and varied, the better it is. They can be fresh, frozen, tinned, dried or as juice. Include some at each meal and as a snack between meals, aiming for five portions a day. These will give you a wide range of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and fibre.
* Drink plenty of fluid: All non-alcoholic drinks count but try to avoid sugary soft and fizzy drinks and excessive caffeine-containing drinks. This will keep you hydrated, help flush toxins and keep skin glowing.
Wedding always brings a smile on your face and why not? After all, it also gives you a chance to shop till you drop. But have you ever realised that long hours of makeup, excessive consumption of oily food and sweets and lack of sleep can result in dull, parched skin that is easily acne prone and pigmented. So, this wedding season, be a little smart, say experts.
Sangeeta Velaskar, Vice President and Head, Medical Services and R&D, Kaya Limited gives you some easy tips to put your beauty anxieties to rest:
* Besides opting for a skin detox or a facial, it is crucial to take care of your skin as we embark on the winter season. Therefore, limit the use of makeup products as much as possible and opt for a clean, minimalistic look
* Incorporate the basic regime of cleansing, toning and moisturizing
* Once or twice a week, use a gentle exfoliator and massage your face in a slow, circular motion to ensure good blood circulation and remove dead skin cells
* Moisturize your skin at all times and even when you go out, do not forget to apply sunscreen
* If possible, incorporate a night time regimen that includes Vitamin C to renew face cells and restore skin elasticity
* Use products that have ingredients such as marine extracts, tea tree oil and mulberry extracts. They are a rich source of proteins and a powerhouse of nutrients that reverse the effects of ageing
* A good facial is of course, the perfect way to detox, restore and rejuvenate your skin whether you’re tired, run-down, stressed or in need of a quick fix
* It is rightly said, that you are what you eat so consume lots of fruits, nuts and sprouts in your diet. Drink enough water to keep the body hydrated and include eat fruits and vegetables that have high water content such as watermelons, cucumbers, strawberries and peaches. If possible,
Also, Blatrix Marion, Eau Thermale Avène Sensitive Skin Expert, lists some easy detox tips to give a fresh start to your skin:
* While cleansing should be a daily habit, you should prefer certain products when undertaking a skin detox: choose a soap-less and gentle formula.
* Your skin needs a deep, exfoliating clean, but be very careful to be gentle! Choose a 3-in-1 mask-scrub is a clarifying clay that turns into a scrub to deeply cleanse and exfoliate the skin leaving the complexion fresh and matte.
* Once a week indulge in a home spa ritual. Choose a quiet evening and get into the mood with nice soothing music and a cup of nettle tea. Do easy home masks with thermal spring water. It guarantees continuous and prolonged contact of water with skin, thus enabling skin to enjoy the water’s soothing and anti-irritating properties more rapidly and recover instant comfort and well being.
* Use cotton wool pads soaked with thermal spring water placed gently over the eyes to prevent dryness from allergies or use of contact lenses
* Use SPF based products to protect your skin from external aggressions
* Always remember that ‘Less is More’. Your skin needing a detox means you should be using as less products as possible for some time. Also prefer products with gentle and minimum number of ingredients BollywoodCountry