Friday June 21, 2019
Home Business Huawei CEO Se...

Huawei CEO Sees Little Impact on Sales from US Broadside

Ren Zhengfei reiterated that the Chinese telecom equipment maker had not violated any law

0
//
Huawei, CEO, Sales, US Broadside
FILE - Ren Zhengfei, founder and CEO of Huawei, gestures during a meeting with reporters in Shenzhen city, south China's Guangdong province, Jan. 15, 2019. VOA

Huawei Technologies’ founder and chief executive said Saturday that the growth of the Chinese tech giant “may slow, but only slightly,” because of recent U.S. restrictions.

In remarks to the Japanese press and reported by Nikkei Asian Review, Ren Zhengfei reiterated that the Chinese telecom equipment maker had not violated any law.

“It is expected that Huawei’s growth may slow, but only slightly,” Ren said in his first official comments after the U.S. restrictions, adding that the company’s annual revenue growth might undershoot 20%.

On Thursday, Washington put Huawei, one of China’s biggest and most successful companies, on a trade blacklist that could make it extremely difficult for Huawei to do business with U.S. companies. China slammed the decision, saying it would take steps to protect its companies.

Trade, security issues

The developments surrounding Huawei come at a time of trade tensions between Washington and Beijing and amid concerns from the United States that Huawei’s smartphones and network equipment could be used by China to spy on Americans, allegations the company has repeatedly denied.

Sri Lanka, Hardline Buddhist Groups
FILE – Huawei’s Meng Wanzhou leaves her family home flanked by private security in Vancouver, British Columbia, May 8, 2019. VOA

A similar U.S. ban on China’s ZTE Corp. had almost crippled business for the smaller Huawei rival early last year before the curb was lifted.

The U.S. Commerce Department said Friday that it might soon scale back restrictions on Huawei.

Ren said the company was prepared for such a step and that Huawei would be “fine” even if U.S. smartphone chipmaker Qualcomm Inc. and other American suppliers would not sell chips to the company.

Huawei’s chip arm HiSilicon said Friday that it had long been prepared for the possibility of being denied U.S. chips and technology, and that it was able to ensure a steady supply of most products.

Also Read- E-commerce Giant Amazon Launches Flight Booking Service in India

The Huawei founder said that the company would not be taking instructions from the U.S. government.

“We will not change our management at the request of the U.S. or accept monitoring, as ZTE has done,” he said.

In January, U.S. prosecutors unsealed an indictment accusing the Chinese company of engaging in bank fraud to obtain embargoed U.S. goods and services in Iran and to move money out of the country via the international banking system.

Ren’s daughter, Huawei Chief Financial Officer Meng Wanzhou, was arrested in Canada in December in connection with the indictment. Meng, who was released on bail, remains in Vancouver and is fighting extradition. She has maintained her innocence.

Ren has previously said his daughter’s arrest was politically motivated. (VOA)

Next Story

Huawei and its Sub-brand HONOR All Set to Get Android Q Update

"All these are third-party applications, and can be installed and used without any issue on Huawei devices,” a company spokesperson said

0
Huawei, information
Logo of Huawei is seen on the advert in front of the local offices of Huawei in Warsaw, Poland, Jan. 11, 2019. VOA

Chinese smartphone giant Huawei and its sub-brand HONOR are slated to get the Android Q operating system (OS) update, industry sources told IANS on Thursday.

In a respite for smartphone buyers, the list of phone HONOR phones that would get the OS upgrade include the newly-launched HONOR 20 series comprising HONOR 20 Pro, HONOR 20 and HONOR 20i.

The OS upgrade may also make it to devices like HONOR View 20, HONOR 10 Lite, HONOR Play and HONOR 8X.

Huawei’s sub-brand had previously said in a statement: “We will continue to provide security updates and after-sales services to all existing HONOR smartphone and tablet products, covering those that have been sold and that are still in stock globally.”

facebook, huawei
FILE – A member of the media tries out new Huawei Honor 20 series of phones following their global launch in London, UK, May 21, 2019. VOA

This comes at a crucial time when the US has imposed a trade ban on Huawei, which is the world’s largest maker of telecom equipment.

Meanwhile, Huawei on Thursday said things have started looking up for the company with the signing of key 5G deals in the UK and Russia, adding that it is “positive” about the future.

Also Read- Motorola Brings its One Vision Smartphone in India

The world’s second-biggest smartphone seller, which shipped over 205 million units in 2018, also clarified that WhatsApp, Facebook, Instagram and all other such apps will continue to work on the devices as they used to.

“All these are third-party applications, and can be installed and used without any issue on Huawei devices,” a company spokesperson said. (IANS)