Thursday December 12, 2019
Home Lead Story Chinese Tech ...

Chinese Tech Giant Huawei Denies Cutting Back Production Amid US Crackdown

Huawei last week filed a motion in a US court challenging the constitutionality of the 2019 National Defense Authorization Act (2019 NDAA)

0
//
Huawei, information
Logo of Huawei is seen on the advert in front of the local offices of Huawei in Warsaw, Poland, Jan. 11, 2019. VOA

Chinese tech giant Huawei has denied reports that it has cut down smartphone manufacture, thus suspending a number of production lines at its major supplier Foxconn.

“Foxconn, the Taiwanese electronics manufacturer that assembles handsets products for many phone brands including Apple and Xiaomi, has stopped several production lines for Huawei phones in recent days as the Shenzhen company reduced orders for new phones, according to people familiar with the matter, who asked not to be named as the information is private,” the South China Morning Post had reported.

The tech titan is also reassessing its target to become the world’s top-selling smartphone vendor by 2020, after the US trade ban has been put in place.

“As the new situation has emerged, it is too early to say whether we are able to achieve the goal,” Zhao Ming, President of Honor, one of Huawei’s smartphone brands, was quoted assaying by the SCMP.

Taiwanese company Foxconn which manufacturers electronics from Apple, Huawei, Sony, Nokia, Xiaomi among others, has cut down several Huawei production lines after the smartphone maker reportedly cut back orders, reports said.

Huawei, Trump, information
People walk past an advertisement for Huawei at a subway station in Hong Kong. VOA

On May 15, US President Donald Trump effectively banned Huawei with a national security order.

The US publicly asked its allies to steer clear of using Huawei products over concerns that the equipment could be used by the Chinese government to obtain private information.

Also Read- Instagram Suffers Another Global Outage, Reason Unknown

Huawei last week filed a motion in a US court challenging the constitutionality of the 2019 National Defense Authorization Act (2019 NDAA).

The Chinese tech giant also asked for an end to US’ state-sanctioned campaign against it arguing that it would “not deliver cybersecurity”. A hearing on the motion is scheduled for September 19. (IANS)

Next Story

US Government Begins Probe into Google Over its Labour Practices

"Four of our colleagues took a stand and organised for a better workplace. This is explicitly condoned in Google's Code of Conduct, which ends: 'And remember... don't be evil, and if you see something that you think isn't right -- speak up.' When they did, Google retaliated against them," the employee activist group wrote in the blog post

0
Google Search Engine
Google Logo. Pixabay

The US government has launched a probe into Google over its labour practices following a complaint from four employees who have been fired by the tech giant.

The four workers who filed a lawsuit against the company last week, claimed they were fired from Google for engaging in legally protected labour organizing, reports CNN Business.

The National Labor Relations Board has begun a formal probe into the complaint.

The tech giant has been accused of “union busting” and retaliatory behaviour after it sacked four employees for allegedly violating the company’s data security policies.

In a statement, Google said it dismissed four individuals who were engaged in intentional and often repeated violations of its longstanding data security policies.

Google
US begins probe into Google’s labour practices. Pixabay

“No one has been dismissed for raising concerns or debating the company’s activities,” said the company on Monday.

Google is in the midst of controversy over its strained relationship with employees.

In an earlier blog post on Medium, an employee activist group, “Google Walkout for Real Change”, said that the company is illegally retaliating against prospective union organisers.

Also Read: Cricket Icon Mahendra Singh Dhoni to Back Show on Army Officers

“Four of our colleagues took a stand and organised for a better workplace. This is explicitly condoned in Google’s Code of Conduct, which ends: ‘And remember… don’t be evil, and if you see something that you think isn’t right — speak up.’ When they did, Google retaliated against them,” the employee activist group wrote in the blog post.

The new CEO of Alphabet Sundar Pichai faces extreme challenges as Google stares at several high-profile external probes into its alleged anti-trust market and data practices — from the US to the European Union regulators — including internal tensions with staff over discrimination at work and HR transparency. (IANS)