Saturday May 25, 2019
Home Lead Story Chinese Smart...

Chinese Smartphone Maker Huawei Developing Own OS in Case of Android Ban

A Canadian court had earlier ruled that Huawei Chief Financial Officer Meng Wanzhou's initial extradition hearing will take place on May 8

0
//
Huawei, information
Logo of Huawei is seen on the advert in front of the local offices of Huawei in Warsaw, Poland, Jan. 11, 2019. VOA

Chinese smartphone maker Huawei has confirmed that it has developed its own proprietary operating systems (OS) and is ready to implement those in case its legal battle with the US leads to a ban on the export of US-made products and services such as Android and Windows.

The world’s second-largest handset player by market share currently uses the Android OS for its handsets and Microsoft’s Windows for its laptops and tablets.

“Huawei has built its own operating system for smartphones and computers in case it is suddenly blocked from using US software from Microsoft and Google,” the CNBC reported on Friday.

Chinese technology giant Huawei filed a lawsuit against the US government last week as a “last resort” to get a federal ban on the use of its products lifted.

U.S.
Attendees pass by a Huawei booth during the 2019 CES in Las Vegas, Nevada, Jan. 9, 2019. VOA

The lawsuit, filed in a US District Court in Texas challenges the constitutionality of Section 889 of the 2019 National Defence Authorization Act (NDAA), which was signed by President Donald Trump in August last year.

Also Read- School Students Set to March for Global Climate Change Strike

A Canadian court had earlier ruled that Huawei Chief Financial Officer Meng Wanzhou’s initial extradition hearing will take place on May 8.

Wanzhou faces fraud charges in the US, where an indictment unveiled in January accused her of deceiving banks into approving transactions that may have violated unilateral US sanctions against Iran. (IANS)

Next Story

Mobile Networks Suspending Orders for Huawei Smartphones: Report

The US export ban has forced Google to cut Huawei’s new devices off from its Android ecosystem

0
Huawei, information
Logo of Huawei is seen on the advert in front of the local offices of Huawei in Warsaw, Poland, Jan. 11, 2019. VOA

Mobile networks in Asia and Europe have issued suspending orders for Huawei smartphones following the US decision last week to restrict the company’s access to American technology, the media reported.

The inclusion of Huawei on an export blacklist means the Chinese company can no longer source software or components from US suppliers without a license. Existing devices are unaffected but the restrictions threaten future Huawei products and its leading position in building super-fast next generation 5G networks, CNN reported.

Vodafone, the world’s second largest mobile operator, said on Wednesday that it had paused pre-orders in the UK for the Huawei Mate 20X (5G) smartphone.

“This is a temporary measure while uncertainty exists regarding new Huawei 5G devices,” a company spokesperson told CNN Business.

The UK’s biggest carrier, EE, is also delaying the introduction of Huawei’s new smartphones. The company had touted the Mate 20X in a preview of its 5G network last week.

Japan’s top mobile operators took similar steps against another device, the Huawei P30 Lite, earlier on Wednesday. The phone was scheduled to launch in the country later this month.

5G
A woman stands at a Huawei booth featuring 5G technology at the PT Expo in Beijing, China, Sept. 28, 2018. VOA

Leading Japanese telecoms firm NTT Docomo announced that it has stopped taking reservations for the phone, and is “looking into the impact of the US restrictions”, Docomo spokesperson Yoshikumi Kuroda said.

Rival carriers KDDI and SoftBank Corp. said they will delay the release of the new Huawei phone.

The suspension of orders is the first tangible evidence that US President Donald Trump’s administration’s latest escalation of its campaign against Huawei on grounds of national security is hurting the company’s business, CNN reported.

Also Read- Britain’s First 5G Service to be Launched in May

Huawei overtook Apple last year to become the world’s No. 2 smartphone brand behind Samsung, and it relies on markets outside of China for half of its sales.

The US export ban has forced Google to cut Huawei’s new devices off from its Android ecosystem.

A temporary reprieve by the US Commerce Department allows Google to service existing Huawei devices for the next 90 days. (IANS)