Saturday May 25, 2019
Home Lead Story Huawei Files ...

Huawei Files Lawsuit Against US Government Over Ban on its Equipment

Last week, the company pleaded not guilty in Seattle to charges that it tried to steal trade secrets from T-Mobile

0
//
Huawei, China, Canada
A man lights a cigarette outside a Huawei retail shop in Beijing. VOA

Chinese tech giant Huawei on Thursday announced that it has filed a lawsuit against the US government, challenging a law that bans federal agencies from buying the company’s products.

The company said that it has filed the lawsuit in Texas, where its American headquarters are located. It asks a US federal court to overturn part of a provision in the National Defence Authorization Act, which was signed by President Donald Trump last August, CNN reported.

Huawei alleges that a portion of the law violates the US Constitution by singling out an individual or group for punishment without trial. “This ban not only is unlawful, but also restricts Huawei from engaging in fair competition, ultimately harming US consumers,” Huawei Deputy Chairman Guo Ping told the media on Thursday morning the company’s headquarters in the Chinese city of Shenzhen.

The legislation specifically forbids government agencies from using technology from Huawei and its smaller Chinese rival, ZTE.”The US Congress has repeatedly failed to produce any evidence to support its restrictions on Huawei products,” Guo said.

“We are compelled to take this legal action as a proper and last resort.”Thursday’s announcement comes after a Canadian court on Wednesday ruled that Huawei Chief Financial Officer Meng Wanzhou’s initial extradition hearing will take place on May 8.Meng faces fraud charges in the US, where an indictment unveiled in January accused her of deceiving banks into approving transactions that may have violated unilateral US sanctions against Iran.

Huawei, information
Logo of Huawei is seen on the advert in front of the local offices of Huawei in Warsaw, Poland, Jan. 11, 2019. VOA

The lawsuit is Huawei’s most aggressive move yet to fight back against US claims that the Chinese smartphone and telecom equipment maker’s technologies pose a global security threat, CNN said.

Huawei is one of China’s biggest tech firms and a key player in the global rollout of super-fast 5G wireless networks. Its smartphones compete globally with those of Apple and Samsung.It describes itself as an employee-owned company and denies any of the products pose a security risk.The Trump administration has been urging allies to ban or restrict Huawei products from their 5G networks, citing spying concerns but without providing clear evidence.

Also Read- Parliamentary Panel Doubts Facebook’s Ability to Prevent Misuse of its Platform

Germany and the UK are deciding what kinds of restrictions to impose on Huawei equipment.

Australia banned the company from providing technology for its 5G networks last year.

USprosecutors have also filed criminal charges against Huawei in Washington and New York states.Last week, the company pleaded not guilty in Seattle to charges that it tried to steal trade secrets from T-Mobile. (IANS)

Next Story

Mobile Networks Suspending Orders for Huawei Smartphones: Report

The US export ban has forced Google to cut Huawei’s new devices off from its Android ecosystem

0
Huawei, information
Logo of Huawei is seen on the advert in front of the local offices of Huawei in Warsaw, Poland, Jan. 11, 2019. VOA

Mobile networks in Asia and Europe have issued suspending orders for Huawei smartphones following the US decision last week to restrict the company’s access to American technology, the media reported.

The inclusion of Huawei on an export blacklist means the Chinese company can no longer source software or components from US suppliers without a license. Existing devices are unaffected but the restrictions threaten future Huawei products and its leading position in building super-fast next generation 5G networks, CNN reported.

Vodafone, the world’s second largest mobile operator, said on Wednesday that it had paused pre-orders in the UK for the Huawei Mate 20X (5G) smartphone.

“This is a temporary measure while uncertainty exists regarding new Huawei 5G devices,” a company spokesperson told CNN Business.

The UK’s biggest carrier, EE, is also delaying the introduction of Huawei’s new smartphones. The company had touted the Mate 20X in a preview of its 5G network last week.

Japan’s top mobile operators took similar steps against another device, the Huawei P30 Lite, earlier on Wednesday. The phone was scheduled to launch in the country later this month.

5G
A woman stands at a Huawei booth featuring 5G technology at the PT Expo in Beijing, China, Sept. 28, 2018. VOA

Leading Japanese telecoms firm NTT Docomo announced that it has stopped taking reservations for the phone, and is “looking into the impact of the US restrictions”, Docomo spokesperson Yoshikumi Kuroda said.

Rival carriers KDDI and SoftBank Corp. said they will delay the release of the new Huawei phone.

The suspension of orders is the first tangible evidence that US President Donald Trump’s administration’s latest escalation of its campaign against Huawei on grounds of national security is hurting the company’s business, CNN reported.

Also Read- Britain’s First 5G Service to be Launched in May

Huawei overtook Apple last year to become the world’s No. 2 smartphone brand behind Samsung, and it relies on markets outside of China for half of its sales.

The US export ban has forced Google to cut Huawei’s new devices off from its Android ecosystem.

A temporary reprieve by the US Commerce Department allows Google to service existing Huawei devices for the next 90 days. (IANS)