Friday March 22, 2019
Home Politics Saudi Arabia:...

Saudi Arabia: Hundreds of jobless Indians starving in Kuwait

Minister of State for External Affairs M.J. Akbar would be taking up the issue with the Saudi and Kuwaiti authorities

0
//
workers in Saudi Arabia. Image source: www.thenewsminute.com

New Delhi: On Saturday, July 30, Sushma Swaraj Minister of External Affairs, said a huge sum of Indian have been rendered unemployed in Saudi Arabia and Kuwait. General V.K Singh Minster of External Affairs will be leaving for Saudi Arabia to sort out the issue.

“Large number of Indians have lost their jobs in Saudi Arabia and Kuwait,” Sushma Swaraj tweeted.
“The employers have not paid wages, closed down their factories,” she said.

Follow NewsGram on Twitter

She stated this in response to a tweet from a man who said that over 800 jobless Indians have been starving for three days in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.

Indians in Kuwait. Image source: kannadigaworld.com
Indians in Kuwait. Image source: kannadigaworld.com

“We have asked the Indian Embassy in Saudi Arabia to serve you food in Jeddah,” Sushma Swaraj said.

“My colleague @Gen_VKSingh is reaching Saudi Arabia to sort out all such matters,” she stated.

She said that while the situation in Kuwait was manageable, matters were much worse in Saudi Arabia.

Follow NewsGram on Facebook

Minister of State for External Affairs M.J. Akbar would be taking up the issue with the Saudi and Kuwaiti authorities, she stated.

“I assure you that no Indian worker rendered unemployed in Saudi Arabia will go without food,” Sushma Swaraj said in another tweet.

“I am monitoring this on an hourly basis,” she added.

Following this, the man who had tweeted about the situation in Jeddah, again tweeted pictures of Indians queuing up for food. (IANS)

ALSO READ: 

Next Story

Tech Giant Google Refuses to Remove Controversial Saudi App

Human rights groups such as Amnesty International have also criticised Google and Apple for allowing the app on their platforms

0
Google, Main One, russia
A Google logo is displayed at the entrance to the internet based company's offices in Toronto. VOA

Google has refused to pull out a controversial government app from Saudi Arabia which lets men track and control women who travel, saying it does not violate its Play Store policies.

According to a report in the Business Insider on Sunday, the tech giant told the office of California Democrat Representative Jackie Speier, who had called for the removal of the app called “Absher”, that the app does not violate its terms of service.

The US Representatives Speier, Ilhan Omar, Rashida Tlaib and 11 others have demanded that Apple and Google must both remove the app.

Speier called Google’s response “deeply unsatisfactory”.

“The responses received so far from Apple and Google are deeply unsatisfactory. As of today, the Absher app remains available in both the Apple App store and the Google Play Store even though they can easily remove it,” Speier was quoted as saying.

google Politicals ads
Google CEO Sundar Pichai speaks at the Google I/O conference in Mountain View, California.

Apple was yet to announce its decision.

Absher allows Saudi users to access government services and also offers features which allow “Saudi men to grant and rescind travel permission for women and to set up SMS alerts for when women use their passports”.

Also Read- NASA’s Newest Mars Lander Starts Digging Into The Red Planet

An earlier report suggested Saudi men could use the app to control female dependents.

Human rights groups such as Amnesty International have also criticised Google and Apple for allowing the app on their platforms. (IANS)