Tuesday April 23, 2019
Home Lead Story ‘Inbox&...

‘Inbox’ App by Google Shutting Down in April

Earlier this week, Google said it is going to close Google+ in the coming months, seven years after it was launched as a social networking site of its own name brand

0
//
Google, smart compose
The Google name is displayed outside the company's office in London, Britain. VOA

Google is shutting down on April 2 its email app “Inbox” that gave users options like advanced filtering, message snoozing and more visual organisation.

The search engine giant first hinted at bringing the app to an end last year, but it was not until recently that the users started seeing a more specific shutdown date, GSMArena.com reported on Tuesday.

“‘Inbox’ is shutting down. We are saying goodbye to ‘Inbox’ at the end of March 2019. While we were here, we found a new way to email with ideas like snooze, nudges, smart reply and more. That’s why we have brought your favourite features to Gmail to help you get more done,” reads the desktop message that pops up while logging into “Inbox”.

Google on an Android device. Pixabay

However, an iOS-only email client named “Spark” will be launched for Android right around the time Google retires “Inbox”.

“This, according to the tweets it has been replying to Inbox users on Twitter. Perhaps ‘Spark’ will be able to fill a void that will be left by ‘Inbox’,” the report said.

Also Read- Micro-blogging Site Twitter to Audit Developers Using Data From App

Earlier this week, Google said it is going to close Google+ in the coming months, seven years after it was launched as a social networking site of its own name brand. (IANS)

Next Story

Google Will Start Giving EU Smartphone Users a Choice of Browsers and Search Apps on Android

Android users who open the Google Play store after the update will be given the option to install up to five search apps and five browsers, Gennai said

0
google
FILE - A woman walks past the logo for Google at the China International Import Expo in Shanghai, Nov. 5, 2018. VOA

Google said Thursday it will start giving European Union smartphone users a choice of browsers and search apps on its Android operating system, in changes designed to comply with an EU antitrust ruling.

Following an Android update, users will be shown two new screens giving them the new options, Google product management director Paul Gennai said in a blog post.

The EU’s executive Commission slapped the Silicon Valley giant with a record 4.34 billion euro (then $5 billion) antitrust fine in July after finding that it abused the dominance of Android by forcing handset and tablet makers to install Google apps, reducing consumer choice.

google
Android users who open the Google Play store after the update will be given the option to install up to five search apps and five browsers, Gennai said. Pixabay

The commission had ordered Google to come up with a remedy or face further fines. The company, which is appealing the ruling, said the changes are being rolled out over the next few weeks to both new and existing Android phones in Europe.

ALSO READ: Measles Spread in Google’s Headquarters, Employees Discussing Ways To Protect Themselves

Android users who open the Google Play store after the update will be given the option to install up to five search apps and five browsers, Gennai said. Apps will be included based on their popularity and shown in random order. Users who choose a search app will also be asked if they want to change the default search engine in the phone’s Chrome browser.

Android is the most widely used mobile operating system, beating even Apple’s iOS. (VOA)