Wednesday March 20, 2019
Home Lead Story Inbox- Altern...

Inbox- Alternate Mailing App by Google To Be Discontinued From March, Next Year

"We know change is hard, so we've created a transition guide to help you switch from Inbox to the new Gmail with ease," Izatt added

0
//
Inbox
Google's mailing app 'Inbox' to discontinue from March 2019. Pixabay

Google is set to shut down its alternate mailing app “Inbox” in March 2019, giving users time to shift to the traditional Gmail by then, the company has said in a blog post.

Launched in 2014, “Inbox” was introduced as an innovative new email app that lived alongside Gmail and served as an experimental platform for Google to try newer mailing features that could be incorporated in Gmail later.

However, it could not gather enough user base and updates to justify its existence.

“We want to take a more focussed approach to help us bring the best email experience to everyone. As a result, we’re planning to focus solely on Gmail and say goodbye to ‘Inbox’ at the end of March 2019,” Matthew Izatt, Product Manager at Gmail, wrote in a blog post late on Wednesday.

Google
Google on a smartphone device. Pixabay

“Inbox” came with provisions for snoozing emails to later, trying latest artificial intelligence (AI)-powered experiences like Smart Reply, Nudges, high-priority notifications along with gesture and bundling features to manage the messages.

“We know change is hard, so we’ve created a transition guide to help you switch from Inbox to the new Gmail with ease,” Izatt added.

Also Read- Environment Gets A Helping Hand From Philanthropists

Earlier in 2018, a revamped version of Gmail was introduced with newer features like “Smart Compose” that helps users draft emails faster and several other features were picked up from “Inbox.” (IANS)

Next Story

New Zealand Firms to Pull Ads From Facebook, Google

Spark's move was part of an international response, which also saw Disney and Nestle pull ads from the site

0
Google, smart compose
The Google name is displayed outside the company's office in London, Britain. VOA

A collective of some of New Zealand’s biggest companies is set to pull ads from Facebook and Google in the wake of the March 15 Christchurch mosques shootings in which the gunman live-streamed his massacre of 50 people.

Using a GoPro camera, the gunman broadcast extremely graphic footage of him shooting people at the Al Noor Mosque via Facebook Live. The livestream was available to watch on social media for hours after the attack.

Besides being livestreamed on Facebook, the video, lasting 17 minutes, was shared repeatedly on YouTube and Twitter, before being removed by the social media giant.

The New Zealand Herald said on Monday that the collective, including ASB Bank, Lotto NZ, Burger King, Spark, has come together to take a stand against the harm caused by unmoderated content on the Internet.

At this stage, it is still unclear how extensive the pull-back will be or for how long the companies are likely to pull their digital ads.

Other brands have also acted independently, The New Zealand Herald reported.

facebook
Facebook: The platform allows for different types of content, which makes it ideal for diverse, interactive and entertaining content.

Kiwibank suspended all digital advertising on March 15 shortly after the carnage took place at the Al Noor mosque and the Linwood Avenue Masjid that also left over 40 others injured.

On Sunday, New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said that she intended to ask Facebook how the gunman was able to livestream the massacre.

Facebook has on its part said that as many as 1.5 million videos of the attack were removed from its platform in the first 24 hours.

Also Read- Here’s How Motorola Lost its Grip in India

This is not the first time New Zealand companies have pulled ads from these platforms.

Earlier this month, telecom company Spark pulled all its advertising from YouTube over concerns about paedophilic content.

Spark’s move was part of an international response, which also saw Disney and Nestle pull ads from the site. (IANS)