Wednesday August 15, 2018
Home World Islamic State...

Islamic State (ISIS) Terrorist Group using Thousands of Women as Sex slaves in Mosul, Iraq

IS executed over 60 people this week for alleged "treason" in Mosul after rulings by the so-called IS 'courts' according to the UN

0
//
300
A member of Iraq's elite forces flashes a victory sign as forces advance toward Islamic State positions in the village of Tob Zawa, near Mosul, Iraq, Oct. 25, 2016. VOA
Republish
Reprint

Mosul, Nov 13, 2016: Thousands of women from the Yazidi minority are being held by the Islamic State jihadist group in the embattled Iraqi city of Mosul, local news site Ara News reported, citing a prominent human rights activist.

“A total of 3,400 Yazidi women and girls remain enslaved for IS sex use. Only a few have escaped since the Mosul operation,” Ara News quoted Nadia Murad as saying on Friday.

NewsGram brings to you current foreign news from all over the world.

Murad said she recently been receiving calls from Yazidi families asking for help to free their women and girls from IS captivity.

“A Yazidi mother told me her 16-year-old daughter’s rescue from IS sex slavery costs 15,000 dollars and she cannot pay,” she said.

“It is unbearable,” said Murad, who survived IS enslavement and was nominated for this year’s Nobel Peace prize for her efforts to alleviate the plight of Yazidi women at the hands of IS.

NewsGram brings to you top news around the world today.

Yezidi women are reported to have been moved to Mosul for use as human shields as well as sex slaves, the United Nations human rights office said on Friday describing the scale of civilian suffering in the IS stronghold as “numbing and “intolerable”.

IS executed over 60 people this week for alleged “treason” in Mosul after rulings by the so-called IS ‘courts’ according to the UN. Other reported atrocities include torture, chemical attacks, large-scale use of human shields and sexual exploitation of women and girls.

Check out NewsGram for latest international news updates.

The Iraqi army, Kurdish Peshmerga forces, Sunni Arab tribesmen and Shia militiamen in mid-October began an operation to route IS militants from Mosul, and last week entered the eastern outskirts of the city, which IS overran in 2014.

Kurdish forces have recently discovered several mass graves in the Yezidi Sinjar region of Iraq. IS attacked Sinjar in August 2014, murdering hundreds of people and abducting thousands of women and girls who they forced into sexual slavery.

Almost 4,000 Yazidis who were enslaved remain unaccounted for, the UN said in August. (IANS)

Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2016 NewsGram

Next Story

Aadhaar Helpline Mystery: French Security Expert Tweets of doing a Full Disclosure Tomorrow about Code of the Google SetUP Wizard App

0
Google Along with Other SSocial Media Giants will Face The Lawmakers, Wikimedia Commons
Google Along with Other SSocial Media Giants will Face The Lawmakers, Wikimedia Commons

Google’s admission that it had in 2014 inadvertently coded the 112 distress number and the UIDAI helpline number into its setup wizard for Android devices triggered another controversy on Saturday as India’s telecom regulator had only recommended the use of 112 as an emergency number in April 2015.

After a large section of smartphone users in India saw a toll-free helpline number of UIDAI saved in their phone-books by default, Google issued a statement, saying its “internal review revealed that in 2014, the then UIDAI helpline number and the 112 distress helpline number were inadvertently coded into the SetUp wizard of the Android release given to OEMs for use in India and has remained there since”.

Aadhaar Helpline Number Mystery: French security expert tweets of doing a full disclosure tomorrow about Code of the Google SetUP Wizard App, Image: Wikimedia Commons.

However, the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) recommended only in April 2015 that the number 112 be adopted as the single emergency number for the country.

According to Google, “since the numbers get listed on a user’s contact list, these get  transferred accordingly to the contacts on any new device”.

Google was yet to comment on the new development.

Meanwhile, French security expert that goes by the name of Elliot Alderson and has been at the core of the entire Aadhaar controversy, tweeted on Saturday: “I just found something interesting. I will probably do full disclosure tomorrow”.

“I’m digging into the code of the @Google SetupWizard app and I found that”.

“As far as I can see this object is not used in the current code, so there is no implications. This is just a poor coding practice in term of security,” he further tweeted.

On Friday, both the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) as well as the telecom operators washed their hand of the issue.

While the telecom industry denied any role in the strange incident, the UIDAI said that he strange incident, the UIDAI said that some vested interests were trying to create “unwarranted confusion” in the public and clarified that it had not asked any manufacturer or telecom service provider to provide any such facility.

Twitter was abuzz with the new development after a huge uproar due to Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) Chairman R.S. Sharma’s open Aadhaar challenge to critics and hackers.

Ethical hackers exposed at least 14 personal details of the TRAI Chairman, including mobile numbers, home address, date of birth, PAN number and voter ID among others. (IANS)

Also Read: Why India Is Still Nowhere Near Securing Its Citizens’ Data?