Islamic Terrorism Again? 22-year-old Salman Abedi behind Manchester Attack that killed 22 and injured 64

0
30
Armed police officers patrol a police cordon near the Manchester Arena in Manchester, May 24, 2017. VOA

Manchester, May 24, 2017: Explosion surrounded by a flash of fire is what eyewitnesses saw in the foyer area of the arena. It is suspected by police that 22-year-old Salman Abedi detonated a home-made bomb in the area as crowds were leaving an Ariana Grande concert on Monday evening.

Among the 22 people who were killed in the bomb blast, there was also an 8-year-old girl. The figures say 64 were injured.

Who is behind the Attack?

Salman Abedi has been named by police as the suspected suicide bomber. He was born in Manchester on New Year’s Eve 1994, the BBC understands.

It is said that he has at least three siblings: an elder brother who was born in London, and a younger brother and sister who were born in Manchester.

Go to NewsGram and check out news related to political current issues.

Abedi’s family is believed to be of Libyan origin and has lived at several addresses in Manchester, including at a property at Elsmore Road in the Fallowfield area which was raided by police on Tuesday, mentioned BBC.

Watch the Video- 

Further, Salford University said Abedi had been a student there but refused to give any further details.

Apart from that, Home Secretary Amber Rudd said it was believed that Abedi had recently returned from Libya.

What Happened?

Police officials say that the attacker died at the scene. A witness said, apart from metal nuts and bolts being scattered on the floor amid bodies, the smell of explosives was in the air. The area where the bomb exploded was the busiest exit of the arena.

There was panic all around and the concert-goers were seen fleeing down the stairs into Victoria station.

Check out NewsGram for latest international news updates.

According to the BBC report, more than 240 emergency calls were made, 60 ambulances and 400 police officers attended.

Soon after the attack, many people in Manchester took help of the social media to offer spare beds and rooms to the needy people in the city.

The Islamic State terrorist group has claimed responsibility of the attack, but this has not been proved or verified yet.

– prepared by Staff Writer of NewsGram