Wednesday June 26, 2019
Home Lead Story Italy: Anti-M...

Italy: Anti-Migrant Populist Wins Big

Matteo Salvini was quick to thank Italians after results of Sunday’s vote in the European elections

0
//
Italy, Anti-Migrant Populist
Interior Minister and Deputy Premier Matteo Salvini arrives for a press conference at the League's headquarters, in Milan, Italy, May 27, 2019. VOA

The big winner in Italy’s vote in the European elections was Matteo Salvini’s anti-migrant League party which took one third of the Italian vote, strengthening his grip on government. His coalition partner, the anti-establishment 5-Star Movement was the big loser. After just one year in government, the result turned around the balance of power between the two ruling parties but Salvini immediately pledged not to dissolve the ruling coalition.

Matteo Salvini was quick to thank Italians after results of Sunday’s vote in the European elections showed him ahead by far. His victory came as no surprise as his party quickly emerged as the undisputable winner and first party in Italy, garnering more than 34 percent of the vote. His coalition partner, the 5-Star Movement took half that.

It was a sensational result for a regional party that garnered just six percent of the votes in the last EU election five years ago. Salvini, before the vote, made it clear he would not change the existing coalition government, saying “my word is worth more than some votes.” He pledged to get back down to work immediately and not dissolve the ruling coalition or reshuffle the Italian government.

Luigi di Maio, leader of the 5-Star Movement issued a brief statement blaming his party’s poor showing on low voter turnout adding “now heads down and let’s work”. But voter turnout in Italy was only slightly down from the last EU elections.

Italy, Anti-Migrant Populist
The big winner in Italy’s vote in the European elections was Matteo Salvini’s anti-migrant League party. Pixabay

Speaking at the League headquarters in Milan during the night, Salvini said “a new Europe is born.”

He said, “Not only is Italy the first party in Italy, but Marine Le Pen is the first party in France, Nigel Farage is the first country in Britain. So, Italy, France, Britain: it’s a sign of a Europe that is changing.”

Salvini added that he was proud that “the League is taking part in this new European Renaissance.” With the League possibly obtaining the largest number of seats by a single party in the new European parliament, Salvini said his party would be pushing for an ‘economic’ portfolio — agriculture, competition or energy — for the next EU commissioner.

Also Read- Human Trafficking Across Myanmar-China Border Continues to Increase

But the Italian leader’s exultation is tempered by results elsewhere in Europe where populists made only modest gains. They won just under a quarter of seats in the European parliament – far lower than the the one third that nationalists on the continent had hoped to get. (VOA)

Next Story

Italy to Launch an Anti-competition Investigation Against Google

In India, earlier in May, the CCI ordered a probe into Google for alleged abuse of its popular Android OS to block rivals

0
Google, smart compose
The Google name is displayed outside the company's office in London, Britain. VOA

Joining the Competition Commission of India (CCI) and the European Union (EU), Italy’s antitrust authority has become the latest international regulatory body to launch an anti-competition investigation against Google.

The probe was prompted after Italy-based energy company Enel Group complained that Google was not allowing the “Enel X Recharge” app to work with Android Auto — Google’s smart driving companion, The Verge reported on Friday.

Usually, the search engine giant allows third-party developers to develop Android Auto-compatible versions of their apps, but only if they offer media or messaging services.

Since “Enel X Recharge” is intended to help drivers find charging stations for electric cars, the app does not necessarily require a messaging feature.

google, online tracking
A man walks past a Google sign outside with a span of the Bay Bridge at rear in San Francisco, May 1, 2019. VOA

“Android Auto is designed with safety in mind, to minimise distractions and to ensure apps can be used safely when driving. We are reviewing the complaint and we look forward to working with the authority to resolve their concerns,” the repost quoted a Google spokesperson as saying.

Also Read- Spotify Begins Testing its First Hardware: A Voice Assistant for Car

In India, earlier in May, the CCI ordered a probe into Google for alleged abuse of its popular Android OS to block rivals.

The EU’s antitrust regulators in March fined Google 1.49 billion euros ($1.7 billion) for abusing its dominance in the online search market by blocking rivals. (IANS)