Saturday, March 6, 2021
Home Uncategorized Kailash Mansarovar pilgrimage hit as China closes Tibet border

Kailash Mansarovar pilgrimage hit as China closes Tibet border

Kailás

 

By NewsGram Staff Writer

Over 25,000 foreign tourists planning to visit Kailash Mansarovar through Nepal were forced to change their itinerary after the Chinese government shut down all border points in Tibet, media reported on Monday. Officials cited recent earthquakes in the Himalayan nation as the reason for the same.

Media reports said that the Nepali tourism and civil aviation ministry has asked the foreign ministry to raise the issue with the Chinese side. However, the Chinese side has not made any comment over the shutdown. These 25,000 foreigners booked their tours for Kailash Mansarovar through 38 tour and travel companies in Nepal. No tourist has, however, cancelled bookings so far, the Karobar national daily on Monday quoted Kailash Tour Association chief Prakash Shrestha.

Tourism entrepreneurs have demanded that the tour should be allowed by opening the Hilsa point in Humla district. Shrestha says taking 25,000 foreigners to Kailash Mansarovar through Nepal will be a huge relief at a time when the tourism sector has been hard-hit by the recent earthquake. The entrepreneurs have informed the culture, tourism and civil aviation ministries in this regard but there has been no breakthrough so far.

“A total of 25,000 tourists are still ready to come once we give them the time-table,” an entrepreneur said. China has closed border points at Tatopani, Rasuwa and other places stating that there can be landslides and it would be difficult to travel or trek. Shrestha said the entrepreneurs have urged the government to take initiative to allow tourists to visit Kailash Mansarovar by helicopter or on foot from Nepalgunj-Surkhet, the western part of Nepal that was close to the Hindu pilgrimage site.

Indian, Russian, Malaysian and other European tourists have booked the Kailash Mansarovar tour. Around 80 percent of tourists going to this area are Indians — around 40,000 visit Kailash Mansarovar via Nepal every year. The May-July period is considered the main season to visit Kailash Mansarovar. Nepali tourism entrepreneurs make all arrangements for tourists to visit Kailash Mansarovar. Around 80 percent of these tourists remain in Nepal for 7-10 days while the remaining 20 percent stay for 4-7 days. Tourists visiting Kailash Mansarovar spend the most after those coming for mountaineering.

Entrepreneurs claim that over 100,000 people will get employment if these 25,000 tourists were to come to Nepal immediately. “The government must, therefore, facilitate it,” said an entrepreneur.

Tulasi Gautam, director general of the tourism department, said initiative was being taken at the level of the minister. “The road to Tatopani has already been opened. We are trying to bring these 25,000 tourists to Nepal by any means,” he said.

(With inputs from IANS)

STAY CONNECTED

19,120FansLike
362FollowersFollow
1,773FollowersFollow

Most Popular

How This Visual Effect Specialist Created Sensation With Tom Cruise’s Deepfakes

A visual effects specialist who created deepfake photos and videos of Hollywood actor Tom Cruise that went viral on various social media platforms, has...

Privatisation May Lead To Increased Charges, Lower Profits For Public: AINBOF

All India Nationalised Banks Officers Federation (AINBOF) has opposed privatisation of public sector banks as it will lead to increase in service charges and...

Now AI Can Predict New Atrial Fibrillation, AF-Related Stroke Risks

A team of researchers has found that Artificial Intelligence (AI) can predict risk of new atrial fibrillation (AF) and AF-related stroke. Atrial fibrillation is the...

Here’s Why You Should Purchase a 3-Layered Face Mask To Protect Yourself Against COVID-19

While buying a new face mask to protect yourself against Covid-19 infection, make sure you go for a three-layered mask as it is more...

Report: What Makes People Swipe Right On Tinder?

What makes you swipe right a profile on Tinder or any other dating apps? Maybe attractiveness and the race of a potential partner, a...

Indeed: Tech Hiring In India Above Pre-Pandemic Levels

A study of tech job postings on job site Indeed on Friday showed that hiring in tech roles between April 2020 and January 2021...

Can Probiotics Help Improve Nutrient Absorption In The Malnourished?

Living in a country like India which is home to one-fifth of the world's population, one cannot help but worry about the state of...

Topics By OTT, Which Were A No-No On Indian Screen Till A While Back

OTT shows seem to push the envelope in terms of storylines and plots, and there are a lot of taboo and sensitive topics being...

Recent Comments