Saturday July 21, 2018
Home India Kuwait man he...

Kuwait man held for funding Indian Islamic State sympathisers

An NIA officer told IANS that Abdullah Hadi Abdul Rahman Al-Enezi was arrested by Kuwait authorities for sending $1,000 to alleged IS recruit Areeb Majeed and his three associates while they were staying in Iraq in May 2014.

1
//
171
Kuwaiti national arrested for having ISIS link. Image Source: www.india.com
Republish
Reprint
  • An NIA officer told IANS that Abdullah Hadi Abdul Rahman Al-Enezi was arrested by Kuwait authorities for sending $1,000 to alleged IS recruit Areeb Majeed and his three associates while they were staying in Iraq in May 2014
  • Majeed, a civil engineer by training, was the first Indian graduate from terror group IS’ training school as a fidayeen or suicide bomber
  • The officer said that Kuwait authorities have now arrested Al-Enezi, who has revealed that he had sent the $1,000 to Majeed through Western Union which was later used by him and his three associates to facilitate their travel to Syria

A 32-year-old man who allegedly funded Islamic State (IS) sympathisers in India has been arrested in Kuwait, based on a tip off by the National Investigation Agency (NIA), an officer said on Saturday.

An NIA officer told IANS that Abdullah Hadi Abdul Rahman Al-Enezi was arrested by Kuwait authorities for sending $1,000 to alleged IS recruit Areeb Majeed and his three associates while they were staying in Iraq in May 2014.

Follow NewsGram on Twitter
Majeed, a resident of Panvel in Maharashtra, left Mumbai along with four friends on May 24, 2014. He returned in November that year and has been in custody since. He is being prosecuted for several offences.

Areeb Majeed. Image Source: Indian Express
Areeb Majeed. Image Source: Indian Express

Majeed, a civil engineer by training, was the first Indian graduate from terror group IS’ training school as a fidayeen or suicide bomber.

The arrested IS sympathiser had informed investigators that while he and three other IS sympathisers were in Iraq in early 2014, they had asked their IS handler for some money to go to Syria, following which Al-Enezi sent $ 1,000 to them from Kuwait.

“The NIA had earlier sent a mutual legal assistance request to Kuwait in the Areeb Majeed case in respect of transfer of $1,000 by Kuwaiti national Al-Enezi to him,” the NIA officer said.

The officer said that Kuwait authorities have now arrested Al-Enezi, who has revealed that he had sent the $1,000 to Majeed through Western Union which was later used by him and his three associates to facilitate their travel to Syria.

NIA arrests Areeb Majeed. Image Source: Indian Express
NIA arrests Areeb Majeed. Image Source: Indian Express

Al-Enezi informed Kuwaiti authorities that he has been involved in financing of terrorism after his return from Pakistan in 2013, the officer said. He also supported terrorist organisations.

Follow NewsGram on Facebook

Sources said that an NIA team is likely to travel to Kuwait to question Al-Enezi. (IANS)

Also Read:

Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2016 NewsGram

  • AJ Krish

    There are so many people who fund IS. It shouldn’t stop with just one.

Next Story

Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte bans working in Kuwait

Duterte made the comments during a speech on Saturday in Singapore on the sidelines of the 32nd ASEAN Summit, Efe news reported.

0
Duterte made the comments during a speech on Saturday in Singapore on the sidelines of the 32nd ASEAN Summit, Efe news reported.
Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte , wikimedia commons

Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte has announced that a ban on Filipinos working in Kuwait will be made permanent and he urged those still working in that country to return home, state media reported on Sunday.

Duterte made the comments during a speech on Saturday in Singapore on the sidelines of the 32nd ASEAN Summit, Efe news reported.

Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte has announced that a ban on Filipinos working in Kuwait will be made permanent and he urged those still working in that country to return home, state media reported on Sunday.
Representational Image, Pixabay

“Those who are there in Kuwait… I now appeal for your sense of patriotism. Come home,” Duterte said.

Duterte in February issued a temporary ban on sending additional workers to Kuwait pending an investigation into the murder of a 29-year-old Filipino house worker, whose body was found in the freezer of her employers. They have been sentenced to death for the murder.

The case sparked outrage in the Philippines and has triggered a diplomatic crisis as thousands of domestic workers left the Gulf nation.

Also Read: Top 5 Books On Indian History

The Philippine Ambassador in Kuwait, Renato Villa, has also been recalled.

The two nations are due to sign a MoU on the protection of overseas Filipino workers in June. (IANS)