By NewsGram Staff Writer
On Wednesday, Minister of State in the Ministry of Commerce and Industry, Nirmala Sitharaman, informed in Rajya Sabha, “The Make in India campaign led by the Modi government has conceptualized five industrial and economic corridors, which are at different levels of implementation.”
Notably, Modi government had a resolution to make dedicated cargo routes connecting north to south and east to west called as Industrial Corridors, which were meant to offer high speed and high power connectivity across the nation.
Following corridors have been conceptualized by the government:
- Delhi-Mumbai Industrial Corridor (DMIC), which covers the states of Uttar Pradesh, Haryana, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat and Maharashtra
- Bengaluru- Mumbai Economic Corridor (BMEC), which covers the states of Karnataka and Maharashtra
- Chennai-Bengaluru Industrial Corridor (CBIC), which covers the states of Tamil Nadu, Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh
- Visakhapatnam-Chennai Industrial Corridor (VCIC), which covers the states of Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu
- Amritsar-Kolkata Industrial Corridor (AKIC), which covers seven states namely Punjab, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Bihar, Jharkhand and West Bengal“BMEC, VCIC and AKIC are in the initial stages of implementation whereas master planning for all the three nodes in CBIC and all nodes except for ‘Dadri Noida Ghaziabad’ Investment region under DMIC have been completed,” said Sitharaman.Talking about the development through these corridors, Sitharaman added, “In the first phase of the DMIC project seven industrial cities have been taken up for development that includes Ahmedabad-Dholera Investment region in Gujarat, Manesar-Bawal Investment region in Haryana, Dadri-Noida-Ghaziabad Investment region in Uttar Pradesh, Khushkhera-Bhiwadi-Neemrana Investment region in Rajasthan, Shendra Bidkin Investment region in Maharashtra, Dighi Port Industrial area in Maharashtra, Pithampur-Dhar-Mhow Investment region in Madhya Pradesh.”
Several infrastructure projects are being made under DMIC for the complete development of roads, utilities, drainage, potable water, industrial water, water treatment & recycling, sewage treatment pplant, common effluent treatment plant, etc.
“The tender documents for construction of trunk infrastructure of Integrated Industrial Township ‘Vikram Udyogpuri’ near Ujjain in Madhya Pradesh have already been issued,” she said.
The tender documents for trunk infrastructure in Dholera, Shendra-Bidkin Industrial area & Integrated Industrial Township have also been proposed after detailed master planning and preliminary engineering, according to Sitharaman.