Tuesday January 23, 2018
Home Indian Diaspora Malaysia hono...

Malaysia honors Madenjit Singh for outstanding contribution to teaching sector

0
//
108
Republish
Reprint

Madenjit_still_31

By NewsGram Staff Writer

On May 16 (Teachers Day), the Government of Malayasia paid tribute to Malaysia-based Indian teacher, Madenjit Singh, for his excellent contribution in the teaching sector, after he was  short-listed for the US $1 million Varkey Foundation Global Teacher Prize.

Born in a poor Malaysian family, Singh had to leave the school at the tender age of 12. The pain of poverty ignited a passion within him to work for poor children. In 2000, he built his own NGO where he started giving free education to poor children.

The school runs on the motto of “Men and women are equal. Stop gender discrimination.” Based on these lines, the male students have to bring one female student to take admission in the school.

Singh teaches in his own NGO, ‘Grassroots Development Institute-Science of Life Studies’ (GDI-SOLS). The NGO offers a free and comprehensive two-year training programme, providing life skills for disadvantaged youths. It now runs 185 schools in remote villages of Malaysia, Cambodia, Timor Leste, Laos and India.

The NGO has won several awards and has been invited to expand its social work to other countries as well.

Previously, Madenjit has been honored by Berjaya Corporation Founder, Tan Dato’ Seri Vincent Tan, and the Better Malaysia Foundation as the Personality of The Year 2012. Singh has also been adjudged among “Top Ten of Malaysia” for “Making A Difference.”

Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2015 NewsGram

Next Story

Government ends Haj subsidy as part of a new policy

Announcing the decision, Minority Affairs Minister Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi said it was in line with the government's agenda to empower minorities without appeasing them.

0
//
14
A total of 1.75 lakh Indian Muslims can go for Haj this year. Wikimedia Commons
A total of 1.75 lakh Indian Muslims can go for Haj this year. Wikimedia Commons
  • The government had drafted the policy after the Supreme Court asked it in 2012 to withdraw it gradually by 2022
  • The government would utilise the funds saved from withdrawing the subsidy for the education of minorities, particularly girls
  • This year, the highest number of Indian pilgrims are likely to go for the pilgrimage

The central government on Tuesday said it has decided to withdraw subsidy given to hundreds and thousands of Muslims for the annual Haj pilgrimage.

Announcing the decision, Minority Affairs Minister Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi said it was in line with the government’s agenda to empower minorities without appeasing them.

“This is part of our policy to empower minorities with dignity and without appeasement,” Naqvi told reporters here.

He said the government would utilise the funds saved from withdrawing the subsidy for the education of minorities, particularly girls.

Also Read: Muslim women can now travel to Haj without Mahram

The government had drafted the policy to abolish the Haj subsidy in a phased manner after the Supreme Court asked it in 2012 to withdraw it gradually by 2022.

This year, the highest number of Indian pilgrims are likely to go for the pilgrimage after Saudi Arabia increased India’s quota by 5,000.

A total of 1.75 lakh Indian Muslims can go for Haj this year. IANS

Next Story