By Shipra John
National Salad Month is celebrated in the month of May in the United States. When we think of the word ‘salad’ the first thing that comes to our mind are, green veggies such as lettuce or a side salad that can be eaten as a way to maintain your diet. With the climate being warmer in the month of May, people prefer to have something light and thirst quenching, rather than having dry and hot food items such as burgers, roasted meat or grilled items. One can enjoy this meal, as it is light and healthy too. You can experiment by adding flavors such as dressings, fruits and nuts to make it a delicious meal. The bliss of having a salad is that it can be eaten anytime during the day and it boosts up your nutrition.
There are a variety of salads that can be experimented with, using kale, iceberg lettuce and also using dark green veggies such as spinach or red leafy lettuce. You can also have fish or cheese or whole grains as an addition to your appetizer. Knowing that it is good for you, this combination of fresh fruits and vegetables can be accompanied with a glass of fresh juice or a glass of wine.
Some of the benefits of having a salad are listed below:
- They are visually attractive since they have varieties of shapes, colors and sizes that are very much eye appealing and also stops your tummy from cravings.
- Salads contain low calories that make your meal ideal and perfect for your physique and your digestive system. Having fried food items only increases your body fat. You can gain good fat from salads, as spinach gives you iron, tomatoes give you lycopene and other nutrients are absorbed by the body.
- Salads can be made easily and quickly, and can stop you from craving. You don’t need to cook and you can have it at anytime of the day, as it will be refreshing for you and it also re-energizes your body.
- Salads help you to digest your meal easily. You may feel heavy and full after having a fatty meal, but a salad helps you to fill your stomach and does not make you feel lazy and sleepy after having your meal.
- It prevents diseases. A salad helps you to prevent various diseases especially cancer and heart diseases, since it is rich in fiber that boosts up your digestive system.
- The diverse varieties of salads prevent you from getting bored with your food. With an assortment of salads and dressings to choose from and adding a combination of fruits and vegetables you can enjoy eating a tasty healthy meal.
Due to all the benefits of having a salad, United States celebrates National Salad Month in the month of May, as it makes you Health conscious and also re- energizes your immune system.
Related Article: Magical benefits of Cumin Seeds
Therefore, everyone can also start celebrating National Salad Month by eating from a variety of salads. Salads will make you healthier, cooler and appeal to your taste buds as well.
Shipra John is a Journalism student at Delhi University, currently working as an intern at Newsgram. Twitter @mjsj_96