Tuesday April 7, 2020
Home Lead Story Microsoft Can...

Microsoft Cancels IoT Conference in Melbourne Due To Coronavirus Concerns

There have been more than 87,000 people infected and nearly 3,000 deaths globally since the virus emerged in the Chinese city of Wuhan in December

0
//
Coronavirus
There have been more than 87,000 people infected and nearly 3,000 deaths globally since the virus emerged in the Chinese city of Wuhan in December. VOA

Microsoft has cancelled its ‘IoT in Action’ conference in Melbourne owing to the new Coronavirus outbreak.

Several customers and partners withdrew from the event that began its journey in 2017 from San Jose.

“After close consultation with our partners and community, we’ve made the difficult decision to cancel the IoT in Action Melbourne event this March 5, 2020,” Microsoft told attendees in an email.

The event was aimed at building new IoT experiences and rapid innovation via the intelligent edge, reports ARN.

Australia on Monday reported the country’s first death because of COVID-19. Australia has reported 26 confirmed cases of the coronavirus to date.

There has been a cascading series of technology conference cancellations, starting with Mobile World Congress (MWC) 2020 in Barcelona, following by GDC and Facebook’s F8 conference.

Microsoft
Microsoft has cancelled its ‘IoT in Action’ conference in Melbourne owing to the new Coronavirus outbreak. Pixabay

“Thank you for your continued support of IoT in Action and we will be in touch shortly with details of upcoming events,” Microsoft said.

In mid-February, Cisco cancelled its flagship Cisco Live conference in Melbourne and later in the month, Salesforce cancelled its physical regional World Tour event for Sydney.

ALSO READ: All you Need to Know About the New Samsung Galaxy S20 Series

There have been more than 87,000 people infected and nearly 3,000 deaths globally since the virus emerged in the Chinese city of Wuhan in December. (IANS)

Next Story

Is France Going to Witness Its Deepest Economic Downturn? Find it Out Here

Minister: France May See Deepest post-WW2 Downturn This Year

0
France economy
France will likely see its deepest economic downturn due to COVID-19 this year since the end of World War Two. Pixabay

France will likely see its deepest economic downturn this year since the end of World War Two, far surpassing the slump seen after the global financial crisis, its finance minister said on Monday.

Bruno Le Maire told a Senate hearing by teleconference that eurozone’s second-biggest economy would likely contract more than it did in 2009.

“That shows the magnitude of the economic shock we are facing,” he said.

France economy
A policewoman wears a mask to protect herself against the spread of the new coronavirus, left, patrols at the garden of the Eiffel Tower in Paris, France. VOA

The government estimated last month in an emergency budget update that the economy would contract 1% this year, but has since indicated that it would have to revise that figure.

Please follow NewsGram on Instagram to get updates on the latest news

With the French economy currently running at two-thirds of normal levels, each month of government-imposed confinement could knock 3 percentage points off of growth, the INSEE official stats agency estimated last month.

Also Read- Physical Abuse During Childhood May Lead To Heavy Cigarette Use: Study

Some 5 million French workers — one out of four in the private sector —  have been put on furloughs subsidized by the state to avoid mass permanent layoffs, the Labour Ministry said on Monday.  (VOA)