Tuesday June 18, 2019
Home Lead Story Mobile Networ...

Mobile Networks Suspending Orders for Huawei Smartphones: Report

The US export ban has forced Google to cut Huawei’s new devices off from its Android ecosystem

0
//
Huawei, information
Logo of Huawei is seen on the advert in front of the local offices of Huawei in Warsaw, Poland, Jan. 11, 2019. VOA

Mobile networks in Asia and Europe have issued suspending orders for Huawei smartphones following the US decision last week to restrict the company’s access to American technology, the media reported.

The inclusion of Huawei on an export blacklist means the Chinese company can no longer source software or components from US suppliers without a license. Existing devices are unaffected but the restrictions threaten future Huawei products and its leading position in building super-fast next generation 5G networks, CNN reported.

Vodafone, the world’s second largest mobile operator, said on Wednesday that it had paused pre-orders in the UK for the Huawei Mate 20X (5G) smartphone.

“This is a temporary measure while uncertainty exists regarding new Huawei 5G devices,” a company spokesperson told CNN Business.

The UK’s biggest carrier, EE, is also delaying the introduction of Huawei’s new smartphones. The company had touted the Mate 20X in a preview of its 5G network last week.

Japan’s top mobile operators took similar steps against another device, the Huawei P30 Lite, earlier on Wednesday. The phone was scheduled to launch in the country later this month.

5G
A woman stands at a Huawei booth featuring 5G technology at the PT Expo in Beijing, China, Sept. 28, 2018. VOA

Leading Japanese telecoms firm NTT Docomo announced that it has stopped taking reservations for the phone, and is “looking into the impact of the US restrictions”, Docomo spokesperson Yoshikumi Kuroda said.

Rival carriers KDDI and SoftBank Corp. said they will delay the release of the new Huawei phone.

The suspension of orders is the first tangible evidence that US President Donald Trump’s administration’s latest escalation of its campaign against Huawei on grounds of national security is hurting the company’s business, CNN reported.

Also Read- Britain’s First 5G Service to be Launched in May

Huawei overtook Apple last year to become the world’s No. 2 smartphone brand behind Samsung, and it relies on markets outside of China for half of its sales.

The US export ban has forced Google to cut Huawei’s new devices off from its Android ecosystem.

A temporary reprieve by the US Commerce Department allows Google to service existing Huawei devices for the next 90 days. (IANS)

Next Story

Huawei Mate 30 Pro may Feature OnePlus 7 Pro-Like 90Hz Display

Alleged renders of the Mate 30 Pro have surfaced

0
Huawei, OnePlus, Display
The next iteration in the Mate series is also expected to sport dual punch hole selfie cameras. Pixabay

Chinese smartphone giant Huawei’s next flagship — the Mate 30 Pro — is likely to come with display with a refresh rate of 90Hz, like that of OnePlus 7 Pro, according to early renders of the smartphone.

The next iteration in the Mate series is also expected to sport dual punch hole selfie cameras.

Meanwhile, alleged renders of the Mate 30 Pro have surfaced, revealing a phone with a curved edges of its display and with a punch hole in the upper-left corner to accommodate two cameras, the GSMArena reported on Saturday.

At the rear, the smartphone is expected to have a quad camera setup placed in the center with an LED flash in “V” formation.

Huawei, OnePlus, Display
Chinese smartphone giant Huawei’s next flagship — the Mate 30 Pro. Pixabay

This camera system is said to offer 5x optical zoom and 50x digital zoom.

Huawei’s Mate 20 Pro was launched in India in November 2018. It supported 3D Face Unlock and in-display fingerprint sensor.

Also Read- Researchers Teaching Artificial Intelligence to Connect Senses Like Vision and Touch

The Mate 20 Pro was powered by Kirin 980 — Huawei’s highest performing system on chip (SoC). (IANS)