Tuesday June 18, 2019
Home India Mumbai blasts...

Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon moves SC

0
//
picture from- www.oneindia.com

New Delhi: Yakub Memon, convicted in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts, on Thursday moved the Supreme Court challenging the death warrant for his execution on July 30. yakub_memon-1993-mumbai_IBNLIVE

Seeking a stay of the execution, Memon sought quashing of the death warrant on the grounds that due procedure was not followed for issuing it.

The apex court on Tuesday rejected Memon’s curative petition saying that it was void of merit. On the same day, Memon filed a mercy petition before the Maharashtra governor seeking commutation of his death sentence into life imprisonment.

Memon in his petition before the Supreme Court submitted that death warrant was issued before he could exhaust all his legal remedies. It was issued and the day of execution for July 30 was fixed even as his curative petition was still pending in the Supreme Court.

Earlier this year, the apex court had quashed death warrant issued for two death row convicts in a multiple murder case on the grounds that it was illegal as procedure was not followed.

(IANS)

Next Story

SC Notice to Centre on Content Streamed by Online Platforms

Unlike the apex court, the High Court did not issue notice on the NGO’s petition but had only sought the government’s response

0
India
A gardener works on the lawns of the Supreme Court in New Delhi, India, Aug. 22, 2017. VOA

The Supreme Court on Friday asked the Centre to respond on a plea seeking guidelines on the regulation of uncertified and sexually explicit content being streamed on global online platforms such as Netflix and Amazon Prime Video.

A bench of Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi and Justice Sanjiv Khanna issued notice after hearing the petitioner. Earlier, the plea was dismissed by the Delhi High Court on February 8. The petitioner had moved the apex court challenging the High Court order.

The petitioner, Justice for Rights Foundation through its advocate H.S. Hora stated that online streaming platforms do not have a licence to function, and the same argument was accepted by the ministries concerned in their response on the plea in the High Court.

According to the petitioner, the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting had said that for these streaming platforms, it is not mandatory to get a licence from the ministry. Later, the High Court dismissed the petition.

The plea said: “The said online platforms are displaying unlicensed, unregulated, uncertified content and collecting subscription amounts from Indian consumers whereas the content telecast on the online platforms is illegal to the extent that certain movies are banned under the provisions of the Indian Cinematograph Act.”

netflix
The new plans appearing on Netflix India’s website lists the weekly mobile-only plan for Rs 65, basic plan for Rs 125. Pixabay

Arguing in the High Court, the petitioner contended that series like “Sacred Games”, “Game of Thrones” and “Spartacus”, broadcast on platforms such as Netflix, contain sexually explicit content and depict women in objectionable manner.

The petitioner argues that the online content has not even passed by the Central Board for Film Certification.

Also Read- Casinos Play Big Role in Promoting Tourism in Goa, Says Sanjay Dutt

Unlike the apex court, the High Court did not issue notice on the NGO’s petition but had only sought the government’s response.

The NGO, in its petition in the High Court, had claimed that online media streaming platforms, including Hotstar, show content which is not regulated and also not even certified for broadcast in public. (IANS)