Sunday July 22, 2018
Home Uncategorized North Korea t...

North Korea test-fires submarine-launched ballistic missile

0
//
92
Republish
Reprint
North-Korea130308
By NewsGram Staff Writer
 
North Korea has successfully test-fired a submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM), a news report said.Pictures circulating in country’s media showed North Korean leader Kim Jong-un looking towards a missile shot out of water. The picture also showed red lettering on the side of the missile, which read as “bukgeungsong,” meaning “north star” or “polaris”.According to a report by a Xinhua news agency, Kim Jong-un hailed the newly developed missile as a “world-level strategic weapon.” It quoted the North Korean leader saying that the Korean military now possess a “world-level strategic weapon capable of striking and wiping out in any waters the hostile forces that infringe upon Korea’s sovereignty and dignity.”

The report stated that the test was carried out by a sub that dived to launch depth on the sounding of a combat alarm.

“After a while, the ballistic missile soared into the sky from underwater,” the agency reported.

A fully-developed SLBM capability would take the North Korean nuclear threat to a new level, allowing deployment far beyond the Korean peninsula and the potential to retaliate in the event of a nuclear attack.

Earlier this year, satellite images had revealed the conning tower of a new North Korean submarine, which according to US analysts appeared to house one or two vertical launch tubes for either ballistic or cruise missiles.

These analysts had also said at the time that developing an operational SLBM capability would cost a lot and it would take “years” for North Korea to achieve that.

Dan Pinkston, Korean expert at the International Crisi Group said, “If this is what North Korea claims it is, then it has come much sooner than anyone expected.”

“An SLBM capability would certainly increase the credibility of the North’s retaliatory threat, but I’d like to see what foreign intel says about this test,” he added.

While it not hidden that the North has been running an active ballistic missile development programme, expert opinion is split about its progress.

There have also been contrasting opinions on whether the North has acquired ability to miniaturize a nuclear device that would fit onto a delivery missile.

Last year in September, the Defence Ministry of South Korea cited intelligence reports that Pyongyang was perceived to be developing a vertical missile launch tube for submarine use.

The Ministry officials reported that the North’s 3,000-tonne Golf-class submarine could be modified to fire medium-range ballistic missiles.

In 2012, North Korea launched a satellite into orbit, which was condemned by the international community as a disguised ballistic missile test that led to tightening of UN sanctions.

This latest test of submarine launching ballistic missile was reportedly termed as an “eye-opening success,” which was at a par with the 2012 satellite launch.

Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2015 NewsGram

Next Story

NASA Scientists to Use Submarines to Hunt For Meteorite Remains

The remote submarine dive is scheduled for later on Monday, the report said

0
NASA
Orion's full parachute system includes 11 parachutes three forward-bay cover parachutes, two drogue parachutes, three pilot parachutes, and three main parachutes. Pixabay

Scientists from several organisations in the US, including NASA, are planning to use remote-operated submarines to hunt for the remains of an outer space object — believed to be a meteorite — that splashed down into the Pacific Ocean on March 7, the media reported.

The Nautilus research ship of the non-profit group Ocean Exploration Trust (OET) will aid in the scavenger hunt, Digitaltrends.com reported on Sunday.

Joined by scientists from NASA, the University of Washington and the Olympic Coast National Marine Sanctuary, the Nautilus will use remote-operated submarines to survey the area and collect any fragments they find, it added.

meteorite
Meteorite. Pixabay

When the outer space object entered the Pacific Ocean, a bright flash lit up the sky and a tremendous boom rattled the residents of Ocean Shores, Washington.

They initially thought it was a spaceship, but from analysis of radar signals, NASA’s cosmic dust sample curator Marc Fries concluded it was a meteorite about the size of a golf cart.

Scientists believe that about two tonnes of fragments are up for grabs. Some of these fragments could be as large as a brick and they could be scattered over a half-mile of the sea floor.

Also Read: NASA Postpones launch of James Webb Space Telescope To 2021

The remote submarine dive is scheduled for later on Monday, the report said. (IANS)