Tuesday June 25, 2019
Home World Over 2,800 lo...

Over 2,800 lost their lives in Syria in March due to bombings, shellings and Tortures in Prison

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights detailed that the number of last month's casualties is similar to February, in which 2,854 people lost their lives

0
//
This still image taken from drone footage, posted online by the communications arm of Ahrar al-Sham militant group, purports to show a blast on the ground, apparently the result of an airstrike, in a Syrian-government controlled neighborhood of Aleppo, S, VOA

Damascus, April 1, 2017: At least 2,826 people were killed in Syria in March, a Britain-based war monitoring group reported on Saturday.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights detailed that the number of last month’s casualties is similar to February, in which 2,854 people lost their lives, Efe news reported.

The NGO pointed out that at least 858 civilians were among the casualties, including 141 minors and 131 women.

NewsGram brings to you current foreign news from all over the world.

A total of 288 civilians were killed in the bombings by Syria and Russia, while 76 were killed in the shelling by the Syrian regime forces and seven were tortured to death in prisons.

Shells launched by rebel and Islamic factions left another 31 civilians dead, while the shells fired by the Islamic State (IS) terror group claimed the lives of seven others.

IS militants also executed 15 civilians, while Islamist factions killed five others.

In addition, 14 civilians were killed by Turkish bombings and gunfire by a Turkish border guard, while the US-led international coalition bombings killed another 281 and the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), an armed alliance led by Kurdish militias, killed four civilians.

Another 57 civilians died in car bomb attacks.

NewsGram brings to you top news around the world today.

The casualties also included 43 Shia citizens from Iraq, who died in IS-claimed explosions in the centre of Damascus.

The SOHR added that 762 members of radical groups, including IS and former Syrian branch of Al Qaeda, lost their lives.

Syria has been the scene of a six-year conflict that has left more than 260,000 dead, according to the SOHR. (IANS)

Next Story

Syria Uses Familiar Tactic in Rebel Idlib: Bombing Civilians

The United Nations is demanding an immediate end to indiscriminate attacks against civilians

0
Syria, Rebel, Idlib
FILE - Destruction is seen around the Udai hospital following airstrikes on the town of Saraqeb in Syria's northwestern province of Idlib, Jan. 29, 2018. VOA

The United Nations is demanding an immediate end to indiscriminate attacks against civilians and civilian infrastructure in northwest Syria, warning the warring parties their actions might amount to war crimes.

U.N. agencies say an intense military escalation by Russian-backed Syrian forces and armed rebels in northwest Syria is having a catastrophic impact on the civilian population. Agencies confirm at least 160 civilians have been killed and hundreds more wounded in fighting over recent weeks.

They say 3 million people in Idlib need protection and 300,000 civilians who have fled their homes in the past two months are in imminent danger.

 

Spokesman for the U.N. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs Jens Laerke says civilians and civilian infrastructure are coming under daily attack by airstrikes, artillery shelling and barrel bombs.

Syria, Rebel, Idlib
FILE – Damage is seen at a hospital after an airstrike in Deir al-Sharqi village in Idlib province, Syria, April 27 2017. VOA

“Since the 28th of April, there have been 25 confirmed attacks on health care in the northwest, including on 24 health facilities and one ambulance,” he said. “Two of the attacked health facilities were hit more than once, and at least six health workers have been killed.”

Laerke says health care facilities are fully protected under international humanitarian law, and it is illegal to target them. Few health facilities remain intact to care for the sick and wounded, he told VOA.

“Already before the recent months of escalation, the status of health care in Syria at large, and in particular in Idlib, was already appalling,” he said. “Even though those facilities have not been hit, they fear that they may be hit. So, the doctors, the health care personnel are leaving, the patients are not going to those hospitals. Understandably.”

Also Read- Five New Non-Permanent Members Elected to Security Council

Laerke says aid agencies are providing food and health services through mobile clinics to people who are newly displaced in northwest Syria. In addition, many schools in the region have been attacked, he says, so catch-up classes are being provided for thousands of children who have been out of school since May. (VOA)