Thursday November 15, 2018
Home Politics PM Modi seeks...

PM Modi seeks timely digital connectivity across India

0
//
Narendra Modi NOFN
Republish
Reprint
by NewsGram Staff

Prime Minister Narender Modi directed the telecom ministry to ensure timely implementation of the broadband project, NOFN (National Optical Fibre Network). The progress of the Rs. 30,000 crore project is likely to be reviewed in first week of March 2015.

NOFN is part of the Digital India programme, a Government of India initiative aimed at integrating various government departments and the people of India. The project would reduce a lot of paperwork as citizens would be able to make requests for various services electronically. NOFN is the initial part of creating an ambitious digital infrastructure connecting rural areas with high speed Internet. Delivery of digital services as well as digital literacy are later part of the whole project. At a cost-expenditure of Rs. 1.13 crore, the project is expected to be completed by 2019. An Apex Committee headed by Cabinet Secretary Ajit Kumar Seth had recently took note of the progress of Digital India.

National Optical Fibre Network alone would be able to connect 2.5 lakh gram panchayats by December 2016. Modi insisted the officials to meet the deadline as he urged them to monitor the the progress closely. He also told the Department of Telecommunications to oversee any bottleneck and ensure that the project does not encounter any delay.

It is evident that India needs a robust digital network across the overlooked rural areas to facilitate smooth government processes and quick resolution of issues. The infrastructure could easily become a national platform for the rural sectors to voice their concerns in an effective way to the highest of authorities.

Telecom minister Ravi Shankar Prasad is already undertaking fortnightly meetings to ensure an un-delayed completion of the project.

Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2015 NewsGram

Next Story

WhatsApp Sets A Forward Message Limit To 5 Chats

Media reports surfaced this week, claiming the Department of Telecommunications (DoT) had asked telecom companies for ways to block social media platforms like WhatsApp, Facebook, Telegram and Instagram in case of threat to national security and public order.

0
WhatsApp officially rolls out forward message limit for Indian users. Pixabay
WhatsApp geared up to show ads in 'Status,' confirms VP Chris Daniels. Pixabay

With the Indian government talking tough on WhatsApp’s failure to check the spread of fake and provocative content on its platorm, the instant messaging service on Wednesday said it has begun rolling out its forward message limit to five chats for over 200 million users in India.

The Facebook-owned platform last month announced to launch a test to limit message forwarding to five chats in India.

“The limit has started to appear this week for people in India who are on the current version of WhatsApp,” the company said in a statement on Wednesday.

In addition, the instant messasing app also published a new video to educate its users, saying it is expanding its user education campaign on how to spot fake news and hoaxes.

“This week, WhatsApp is publishing a new video that explains the importance of the ‘forward’ label and calls users to ‘double check the facts when you’re not sure who created the original message,'” said the company.

The Forward Message Limit Is Set To 5 Chats
The Forward Message Limit Is Set To 5 Chats

People forward more messages, photos, and videos in India than any other country in the world.

Globally, the company allows users to forward messages for up to 20 chats (either individuals or groups).

WhatsApp said that with new changes, which it will continue to evaluate, “will help keep WhatsApp the way it was designed to be: a private messaging app”.

“We are deeply committed to your safety and privacy which is why WhatsApp is end-to-end encrypted, and we’ll continue to improve our app with features like this one,” it said in an earlier statement.

Media reports surfaced this week, claiming the Department of Telecommunications (DoT) had asked telecom companies for ways to block social media platforms like WhatsApp, Facebook, Telegram and Instagram in case of threat to national security and public order.

Also Read: ‘Picture-In-Picture’ Mode Under Construction for Whatsapp

The Cellular Operators Association of India (COAI), however, said the government should look for “more effective” steps to curb fake news and maintain public order, instead of blocking mobile applications. (IANS)