Digital marketing is indeed something to be excited about as it’s instant, relatively easy and when it comes to advertising it’s really cost-effective. However, many businesses are still struggling to achieve digital marketing and social media success and in the process are spending way too much money on their ads from irrelevant traffic.
Why do some brands have resounding success with their digital marketing ads and others fall flat?
Does this question sound familiar? Do you need to put active plans in place to protect your ad spend from irrelevant traffic?
Unfortunately, your digital marketing campaign can go way over budget and your business can be left no better off for the spend. The days of creating a digital marketing campaign and then posting it all over the internet only to let it run unchecked are gone. Nowadays every business spending money on digital ads need to have measures in place to protect their spend in order to get the best results possible.
Set a realistic digital advertising budget
It all starts with setting a realistic digital ad budget that suits your objectives and your budget. Oftentimes, when business embark for the first time on their digital marketing strategy they’re over optimistic and this can lead to costs skyrocketing.
Start by setting a very realistic ad campaign budget and more importantly, make sure you stick to it before analysing its success or failure. Only after this are you able to adequately protect your ad spend from irrelevant traffic in the future.
What is cost per click?
Paid advertising on the internet has become a must for business and is no longer a ‘nice-to-have’ element of marketing. With billions of people active on the world wide web every day, your business is quite a simply destined to fail if you don’t use pay-per-click advertising.
So, what does the ‘cost’ for pay-per-click advertising all boil down to?
Well, it’s quite simple. Basically, the cost is calculated every time someone clicks on your ad and this is the price you pay to Google for hosting your ad. Make sure you have a good understanding of how this cost is calculated through Google’s bidding strategy to get the most out of your pay-per-click advertising.
But don’t let its simplicity fool you as costs can very quickly spiral out of control if your pay-per-click advertising isn’t adequately monitored and analysed regularly.
Do you know who is clicking on your ads?
It’s imperative to protect your ad spend from irrelevant traffic as your ad could receive clicks from your competitors, unrelated searches or even bot traffic. This is absolutely what you don’t want to happen, as this type of scenario can easily send your pay-per-click budget through the roof.
Here are some benefits of taking active measures to protect your ad spend from irrelevant traffic.
- Get legitimate clicks
- Increase real engagement
- Improve interaction with potential customers
- Convert visitors to customers
Tips on how to reduce your ad spend with Google Ads
Your business will benefit from monitoring and protecting your ad spend – there’s no doubt about it. But how do you put plans in place to achieve this?
Let’s take a look at some of these tips to apply to your digital marketing ads and pay-per-click advertising.
- Low bid keywords – It’s really effective to target keywords that have low bids as these keywords will have a lower cost attached to them. Certain keywords carry a higher cost as they are associated with an extremely competitive industry.
- Use long tail keywords – Long tail keywords tend to have a lower search rate and they’re much more effective than single keywords as the search engines can clearly identify them.
- Negative keywords can be positive – Believe it or not negative keywords can have a really positive affect on the cost of your pay-per-click advertising. They work by preventing your ads from showing up in irrelevant searches.
- Quality over quantity – Rather focus on quality of clicks than quantity. This is a good way to make sure your ad receives clicks from users who are genuinely interested in your product or service.
- Schedule your ads – This is a great PPC ad feature that shouldn’t be overlooked as displaying your ads around the clock can be a costly affair.