Tuesday October 16, 2018
Home Uncategorized Sanjay Dutt s...

Sanjay Dutt set to walk free on February 27

0
//
70
Republish
Reprint

Mumbai: Bollywood’s prominent veteran actor Sanjay Dutt is all set to walk free from Yerwada jail in Pune on February 27 after been given clean chit by Maharashtra government.

Incarcerated Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt, whose five-year sentence for his involvement in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts was confirmed by the Supreme Court in March 2013, will be freed on February 27, official sources said.

Minister for State (Home) Ranjit Patil signed the file allowing Dutt’s release, without penalising him for reporting late from his furlough in January 2015.

Dutt was acquitted of terror charges under the TADA but found guilty of possessing illegal arms, acquired apparently to protect his family during the communal conflagration that engulfed Mumbai after the demolition of the Babri Mosque on December 6, 1992.

Of the five-year sentence, the actor had already served 18 months as an undertrial and was required to undergo another 42 months, which is now on the verge of completing.

Sources say the abatement has been granted on grounds of good behaviour.

Last year, former Supreme Court judge Markandey Katju’s petition in 2013 to pardon Sanjay Dutt was rejected. Sources had said that Governor Vidyasagar Rao rejected the petition on the recommendation of the Maharashtra home department, which feared to set a bad precedent since the actor’s sentence was confirmed by the Supreme Court. Also, the actor’s continuous breaks from jail have earlier been criticised as a testimony of VIP treatment.

More than 118 days have been spent out of prison by Mr Dutt between May 2013 and 2014.

It was claimed by him that possession of weapons was necessary to protect himself and his family from the deadly riots which were the aftermath of a series of bombs that exploded Mumbai city’s landmarks.

(Inputs from Agencies)

Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2016 NewsGram

Next Story

Being A Gangster Comes Naturally To Me: Sanjay Dutt

Dutt is among the noted Bollywood stars in 90s and is trying to make his 2nd innings memorable

0
Being A Gangster Comes Naturally To Me: Sanjay Dutt
Being A Gangster Comes Naturally To Me: Sanjay Dutt. Flickr
Bollywood’s ‘Khalnayak’ Sanjay Dutt’s life is known to everyone and is currently the talk of the town. Bollywood has welcomed the actor with open arms and after ending his prison sentence, Dutt has been busy with the shooting of his upcoming movies. And now, the actor will next be seen in ‘Saheb Biwi Aur Gangster 3‘ where he will be playing the role of a sophisticated gangster and he says this all comes naturally to him.
Sanjay quoted in Mid-Day, “I think being a gangster comes naturally to me. I have been to jail too.” “They were looking for a polished, khandaani gangster, and I fit the bill perfectly,” he quoted.
Sanjay Dutt Bhoomi
Sanjay Dutt and bhoomi. Source: Bollywood Country
To note, Dutt is among the noted Bollywood stars in 90s and is trying to make his 2nd innings memorable. He made a comeback in Bollywood with ‘Bhoomi’ which failed to shine at the box-office. Besides ‘Saheb Biwi Aur Gangster 3’, Sanju is simultaneously shooting for ‘Torbaaz’ and ‘Kalank’. ‘Kalank’ will also see Dutt and Madhuri Dixit share the screen together after a long time. Dutt will also be seen in the remake of ‘Prasthanam’ and ‘Panipat’. (IANS)

Next Story