Thursday January 18, 2018
Home India 1993 blasts c...

1993 blasts case: Sanjay Dutt to be freed from jail in March

0
//
85
Republish
Reprint

Pune: Jailed Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt will walk out a free man in the first week of March from the Yeravada Central Jail in 1993 Mumbai blasts case, official sources said here on Tuesday.

This comes days after Maharashtra Governor C V Rao rejected Dutt’s plea for pardon on September 15.

The governor had rejected the plea by retired Supreme Court judge, Justice Markandey Katju in March 2013, which came in the form of letters addressed to the president, the (then) prime minister, union home minister and other top officials.

“On September 15, Governor Rao declined the appeal and has forwarded his recommendation to the state government for further action,” an official, declining to be identified, told IANS.

While rejecting the pardon plea, the governor adhered to the state home ministry’s advice, on – among others – grounds that it could set a wrong precedent.

In his plea, Justice Katju had sought a pardon for Dutt on grounds that he was not a terrorist and also demanded pardon for elderly co-convict Zaibunissa Kazi.

Earlier, Dutt himself declared that he would not seek pardon from any quarter and abide by the Supreme Court verdict sending him to jail to serve the remainder of his five-year term at Yerawada Central Jail (YCJ), Pune.

According to current indications, Dutt is likely to complete his sentence and walk out of prison by the year-end or early 2016.

Dutt was convicted for his role in the March 12, 1993, Mumbai serial blasts and after his arrest in 1996 had spent 18 months in jail before getting bail.

In 2013, he was sentenced to five years imprisonment and was transferred to the Yerawada Central Jail for serving the remaining prison term of 42 months.

In the interim, the “Munnabhai M.B.B.S” actor was out four times on parole on various grounds and is currently released on furlough since August 27 for his daughter’s medical problems.

(With inputs from IANS)

(Image: DNA)

Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2015 NewsGram

Next Story

Sanjay Dutt’s wife Manyata Dutt Denies WrongDoing

Manyata Dutt denies having Paradise Papers.

0
//
33
Sanjay Dutt's wife Manyata Dutt accused having Paradise Papers
Sanjay Dutt's wife Manyata Dutt accused having Paradise Papers. ians

Mumbai: Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt’s wife, named among those in the ‘Paradise Papers’ accused of parking their wealth in tax havens abroad, says all her financial dealings are above board.

Dilnashin figures among the 714 Indian links named in the ‘Paradise Papers’, said the Indian Express in a banner story done as part of a global probe carried out by the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ).

Her spokesperson said in a statement: “As per the requirements of provisions of Income Tax Act, 1961, all the properties, company or body corporate or shares in any company are declared in the balance sheet.”

Megastar Amitabh Bachchan has been named as part of the leaks, regarding shareholding in a Bermuda company acquired before the 2004 Liberalised Remittance Scheme kicked in.

A day before the big story broke, Amitabh had penned his thoughts on being named in the Bofors scandal and the earlier Panama Papers leaks.

“Tomorrow there could be more… And the process of our cooperation shall continue,” he wrote in a blog post on Sunday.

On the Panama Papers of last year, he wrote: “We were asked for reactions, for responses, for justification or not, for replies to their investigative queries… Two instant replies were given out by us… Of denial and misuse of the name. They were printed… but the questions continued.

“The fullest cooperation has been extended at all hours as dutiful citizens. And even after, if there is any more query that needs to be addressed, we shall comply.”( IANS)

Next Story