Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel played a vital role in Indian freedom movement and persuaded the princely states to accede to independent India.
PM Modi and others paid tributes to Sardar Patel on death anniversary. “We remember the great Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Patel on his Punya Tithi. Every Indian is indebted to Sardar Patel for his monumental service to our nation,” PM tweeted.
Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, popularly known as Sardar Patel, played a major role in Indian freedom movement. The credit of persuading the princely states to accede to Republic of India goes to him. For his contribution towards national integration, Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel earned the title of ‘Iron Man of India’. In 2014, the government declared his birthday, October 31, as Rashtriya Ekta Diwas (National Unity Day).
Facts about Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel
- Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel was born on October 31, 1875, in Gujarat. He studied law in London, he aced the Barrister -at- Law examination there. Sardar Patel practiced law in India and then became one of the most successful lawyers in the country.
- Sardar Patel was married to Jhaverba and had a daughter Maniben and son Dahyabhai. His wife died of cancer when their children were just 5 and 3 years old. Sardar Patel with his family’s support raised the children.
- Sardar Patel was offered a job for the British government on multiple occasions, but turned them all down.
- During Congress elections in 1946, thirteen out of sixteen states chose Sardar Patel as their president, who was the more popular candidate and would have eventually become the first Prime Minister of independent India. But upon Gandhi’s request, he stepped down as a candidate and endorsed Jawaharlal Nehru instead.
- Sardar Patel worked extensively against alcohol consumption, untouchability, caste discrimination and for women emancipation in Gujarat and outside.
- Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel was posthumously awarded the Bharat Ratna in 1991.
Sardar Patel Statue of Unity
Sardar Patel Statue of Unity is tribute to great man of India, it will also boost tourism. The Statue of Unity is an iconic 182 meter tall landmark statue dedicated to Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel. Post completion in 2018, the Statue of Unity will be the world’s tallest statue. A monument of this stature is supposed to act as a catalyst to accelerate growth of the Narmada District, benefitting the resident population at large. The vision behind Sardar Patel Statue of Unity is to develop the place as a source of inspiration for ages to come.
In today’s world we can seek inspiration from Iron Man of India whose ideology was “India first”, Sardar Patel undoubtedly will be the source of inspiration for ages to come.
– by Shaurya Ritwik, Shaurya is Sub-Editor at NewsGram and writes on Geo-politcs, Culture, Indology and Business. Twitter Handle – @shauryaritwik