Monday October 15, 2018
Home World Sikh contesta...

Sikh contestant Rav Bansal in UK bakery show “Great British Bake Off” racially abused

Bansal is one of 10 remaining contestants on Great British Bake Off this year, and has won fans for his good-natured humour

0
//
196
Sikhism. Image source: Pixabay
Republish
Reprint

London, September 3, 2016: A 28-year-old Sikh contestant Rav Bansal on this year’s ‘Great British Bake Off’ disclosed that he suffered racial abuse after appearing in the first two episodes of the hit BBC show.

Rav Bansal said he was asked whether he was a “P—” by a stranger who referred to the “not-so-British Bake Off”, The Telegraph reported late Friday.

“So today I was asked ‘Are you the p*** on the not so British bake off?’ Really, in 2016?,” Bansal tweeted.

Follow NewsGram on Twitter

Bansal, who resides in Erith, Kent with his parents and works at City University, was supported by his fellow contestants, who immediately rallied around to condemn the comments, The Telegraph reported.

Fellow contestant Benjamina Ebuehi, one of his fellow amateur bakers, responded to his tweet saying it was “so horrible”.

Follow NewsGram on Facebook

However, Bansal is not the first Bake Off contestant to have suffered racist abuse, with last year’s winner British-Muslim Nadiya Hussain previously speaking frankly about the insults and violence she has suffered at the hands of strangers.

Bansal is one of 10 remaining contestants on Great British Bake Off this year, and has won fans for his good-natured humour, The Telegraph added. (IANS)

 

Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2016 NewsGram

Next Story

Department of Homeland Security Does Not Doubt Statements of Tech Giants Regarding China Hack

Apple contested the Bloomberg report Thursday, saying its own internal investigations found no evidence to support the story’s claims.

0
Department of Homeland Security
CPU chips are seen at a recycling facility in Tokyo in October 2010.. VOA

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security said Saturday it currently had no reason to doubt statements from companies that have denied a Bloomberg report that their supply chains were compromised by malicious computer chips inserted by Chinese intelligence services.

“The Department of Homeland Security is aware of the media reports of a technology supply chain compromise,” DHS said in a statement.

“Like our partners in the UK, the National Cyber Security Centre, at this time we have no reason to doubt the statements from the companies named in the story,” it said.

Department of Homeland Security
Customers look at iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus phones at an Apple Store in San Francisco, California, Sept. 22, 2017. (VOA)

Bloomberg Businessweek on Thursday cited 17 unidentified intelligence and company sources as saying that Chinese spies had placed computer chips inside equipment used by around 30 companies, as well as multiple U.S. government agencies, which would give Beijing secret access to internal networks.

Apple and Amazon

Britain’s national cyber security agency said Friday it had no reason to doubt the assessments made by Apple Inc and Amazon.com Inc challenging the report.

Apple contested the Bloomberg report Thursday, saying its own internal investigations found no evidence to support the story’s claims and that neither the company, nor its contacts in law enforcement, were aware of any investigation by the FBI on the matter.

Department of Homeland Security
Experts: Cyber attacks Growing Increasingly Sophisticated. Pixabay

Apple’s recently retired general counsel, Bruce Sewell, told Reuters he called the FBI’s then-general counsel, James Baker, last year after being told by Bloomberg of an open investigation of Super Micro Computer Inc, a hardware maker whose products Bloomberg said were implanted with malicious Chinese chips.

Also Read: Apple And Amazon Deny Chinese ‘Spy’ Chips Into Their Network

“I got on the phone with him personally and said, ‘Do you know anything about this?” Sewell said of his conversation with Baker. “He said, ‘I’ve never heard of this, but give me 24 hours to make sure.’ He called me back 24 hours later and said ‘Nobody here knows what this story is about.” Baker and the FBI declined to comment Friday. (VOA)