BY PUJA GUPTA
Dessert have the ability to make us feel happy. In these trying times, a portion of a heavenly dessert is all we are looking for to keep our stress at bay. Here are some easy, delicious and low fat dessert recipes to feed those cravings without the additional guilt, shared by Chef Steffi Tellis Assistant Professor-Food Production ITM Institution of Hotel Management.
Granola Yogurt Parfait
Serves : 02
- 100 gms low fat yogurt
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 100 gms fresh fruits of choice (peach, grapes, pomegranate, banana, mango, berries etc.)
- 100 gms Granola*
- Mint Sprig- to garnish
- To prepare Granola
- 40 gms Rolled oats
- 20 gms Almonds
- 20 gms Cashewnuts
- 20 gms Raisins
- 20 gms Dried Cranberries
- 1 tsp Cinnamon Powder
- A pinch of Salt
- 4 Tbsp Honey
- To prepare Granola
- Slice the almonds and cashewnuts
- Mix the sliced almonds, cashewnuts, raisins, cinnamon powder and salt in a bowl.
- Add the honey and mix until well coated.
- Line a baking tray with a butter paper and spread the mixture evenly on it.
- Bake at 160C for in a pre-heated oven for 20 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Allow to cool slightly and add the dried cranberries.
- Once completely cooled, use as desired.
- To prepare Parfait
- Drain the yogurt on a strainer for 10 minutes.
- Whisk the drained yogurt with honey until smooth.
- Slice the peach, grapes, banana,strawberry and mango. Separate the pomegranate seeds. Other berries could be used whole.
- Using a tall glass – make layers of Granola, yogurt and fruits. Repeat until the brim of the glass. Top with more fruits.
- Garnish with a mint sprig. Serve immediately.
Fudgy Healthy Brownies
Serves : 04
- 45g whole wheat flour
- 46g refined white flour
- 50g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 20g unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 80g plain nonfat yogurt (drained)
- 80 ml Honey
- 50g chopped dark chocolate (or dark chocolate chips)
- Preheat the oven to 180 ï¿½ C, and line an 8-inch square pan with butter paper.
- Whisk together both the flours, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk the butter, egg, and vanilla. Stir in the yogurt, mixing until no large lumps remain. Stir in the honey. Add the flour mixture, stirring until just incorporated. Fold in some of the chopped dark chocolate (or chips).
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan, and gently press the remaining chopped chocolate into the top. Bake for 20 minutes. Cool completely to room temperature in the pan. Let the brownies set for at least 3 additional hours before slicing for the fudgiest texture.
Flourless Banana Blondies
Serves : 04
- 100 gms plain yogurt (drained)
- 2 tbsp almond butter (or any unsalted butter)
- 2 large eggs
- 120 gms old fashioned rolled oats
- 70 gms brown sugar
- 25 gms almond meal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
- 2 medium-size ripe bananas, mashed (150 g mashed)
- 60 g Chocolate chips/seeds/nuts (of choice)
- Preheat your oven to 180ï¿½C and prepare an 8ï¿½8 (20x20cm) baking pan by lining it with a sheet of aluminum foil or butter paper. Grease the foil with oil and set aside.
- Whisk together all of the ingredients except for the bananas in the order listed,
- Continue until the oats have fully broken down and the batter becomes smooth and creamy.
- Gently fold in the mashed bananas. Finally, fold in your add-ins.
- Pour the batter into your prepared baking pan, using a spatula to distribute it evenly.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove the blondies from the oven and let them cool in the pan for about 15 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Serves : 04
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp coconut or vegetable oil
- 125 gms cottage cheese (paneer)
- 2 tbsp pure vanilla essence
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseeds
- 60 gms whole wheat flour
- 60 gms refined flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 4 tbsp sugar of choice (or stevia proportionately)
- Preheat oven to 180 ï¿½C and grease an 8ï¿½8 square pan. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the first 5 ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, combine all remaining ingredients and stir very well. Pour wet into dry and stir until just evenly combined, then pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
For the Cream:
- 80 gms cottage cheese (paneer)
- 80 gms cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- pinch pure stevia (artificial sweetener of choice)
- Blend all ingredients together until completely smooth.
- For the syrup
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp instant coffee
- 1 tbsp rum (*optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a small dish.
- To make the Guilt-free Tiramisu
- Line a loaf pan with plastic wrap.
- Cut the cake in half, placing one half in the bottom of the loaf pan.
- Brush with some of the espresso, then smooth on a layer of cream.
- Place the other half of the cake on top, then cover with the rest of the espresso and another layer of cream.
- Refrigerate at least 5 hours before serving to let the espresso sink into the cake layers. Before serving, dust with unsweetened cocoa if desired.
Low Calorie Carrot Pudding
Serves : 04
- 600 gms Grated Carrots
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- 5 Tbsp Dates (soaked in warm water, squeezed and pureed)
- 3 Tbsp Milk Powder
- 3 Tbsp Milk
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom Powder
- 50 gms dry fruits of choqice
- Heat ghee in a non stick pan
- Add grated carrots and allow to cook, stirring occasionally.
- Add the sugar, continue cooking for 3-4 minutes.
- Add milk and milk powder and continue cooking on medium flame for 2-3 minutes.
- Sprinkle cardamom and chopped dry fruits of choice and stir.
- Serve warm or store in the refrigerator and serve cold.
Dalgona Mug Cake
Serves : 01
- 2 Tbsp Refined Flour
- 2 Tbsp Brown Sugar (or sugar substitute in proportion)
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 2 Tbsp Milk
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1/4 tsp Baking Powder
- A pinch of salt
- For Dalgona Foam
- 2 tsp Instant Coffee Powder
- 2 Tsp brown Sugar
- 2 tsp Hot Water
- Add Flour, Brown sugar, salt, baking powder and mix
- To the dry ingredients, add milk, oil and vanilla essence and whisk until no lumps.
- Pour this mixture into a microwave safe mug and microwave on high for 1 minute.
- To prepare dalgona foam, beat hot water, instant coffee powder and sugar until foamy with stiff peaks.
- Once the mug cake is out of the microwave, allow to cool for 30 seconds and top with dalgona foam.
- Serve warm. (IANS)