Get subscribed to our newsletter
Get interesting updates to your email inbox.
When you hear the phrase “cost of living,” you typically think about the normal thing like salary ranges in your field, price ranges of homes and apartments, and gas prices… but in this particular scenario, the cost of living is referring to what it actually costs you to stay alive and well on this Earth, as far as your health is concerned.
According to ABC News, over 40 million Americans either don’t have access to the health care that they need or they just simply can’t afford it. The report discussed a study conducted by the CDC and revealed that one-fifth of Americans couldn’t afford the services of:
- Prescription drugs
- Dental care
- Medical services and treatments
Even those with health insurance still have limited access to the care they need. People tend to think that just because a person has health insurance, that they are automatically secured in health care coverage, and that’s not the case at all. People who have health insurance still face health care access due to:
- Not having transportation to get to doctor appointments
- Not having the money for copays
- Services that aren’t covered
There is a commercial out now for the prescription price tracker called GoodRX. The commercial showed a woman with her sick son walking into a pharmacy and all she could think was “I hope I can afford this medicine for my son… he really needs it.” As she approaches the pharmacy counter, the pharmacist informs her of the price and the mother says thank you and proceeds to walk away because she can’t afford the medication.
The next thing you know, the pharmacist informs her about GoodRX. The mother downloaded the app and was able to afford her son’s medication. The sad part about that commercial is that so many people face that same scenario everyday but instead go without medicine altogether.
The Cost of Living and Dying
Everything is so expensive that you can barely afford to live and you’re lucky if you can afford to die. In order to live a good, healthy quality of life, you have to eat right, exercise, take care of your skin, take care of your teeth, etc… and that’s if you don’t have any preconceived conditions! If you have diabetes and require insulin to live, one vial of Humalog insulin costs $435. If you’re like most people, you don’t just have $435 laying around.
For those living with cancer and need chemo treatments, it can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. A common Leukemia medication called Gleevec will cost a patient $146,000 a year. That is a life-saving drug and failure to get the medication could have life-threatening results. The number one cause of death among Americans is heart disease and just like cancer patients or people living with diabetes, they can’t always afford the medications they need to survive. Some of the most common conditions are hard to treat due to costs… asthma medication is getting too expensive now.
So as you can see, it’s hard enough to live and be healthy but to live and be healthy with medical conditions, is even harder. You have to take every necessary step to do your part in maintaining your health, whether it means you exercise and eat vegetables or even if you have to find another job that’s not as stressful, making those types of changes is a lot easier then having to pay for hospital bills and new medications you didn’t have to take before. You have to take care of yourself by making healthier choices.
If you thought it was expensive to live, it can be just as expensive to die. The only difference in living and dying is who is paying for the end of life arrangements. In most cases, people don’t make proper end of life arrangements ahead of time, leaving their family members to not only grieve but to also take on the stress of planning and paying for a funeral.
The average cost of a funeral can be anywhere from $7,000 to $12,000 and more. To leave your family having to pay for those kinds of costs during such a difficult time can be very stressful for the family. Some people will be proactive about their end of life arrangements and handle everything in advance. They’ll find the right power of attorney (POA), create their living will and testament, and speak to family members about their last wishes.
The only thing about that is, a lot of people don’t have that mindset and feel like they need to wait until they get old to do that but the reality is that you’re never too young to make those types of arrangements because life is so unpredictable. You honestly need to make these types of arrangements when major life events happen like marriage and children and just continue to update things as you grow older. (IANS)
The nursery rhyme Goosey Goosey Gander is filled with multiple meanings. It is another one of those rhymes believed to have emerged from the time of great persecution in England during the Reformation. It also holds a contemporary, colloquial meaning.
The original verse goes something like this:
Goosey goosey gander,
Whither shall I wander?
Upstairs and downstairs
And in my lady's chamber.
There I met an old man
Who wouldn't say his prayers,
So I took him by his left leg
And threw him down the stair (allnurseryrhymes.com)
There are other versions that deal with more specific ideas from which separate meanings have been interpreted.
Catholic priests being killed for continuing to keep the faith Image source: wikimedia commons
The primary interpretation is believed to be regarding the Catholic priests getting persecuted by King Henry VIII and his Protestant successors. Catholicism in England was frowned upon when King Henry established the Church of England. Anyone practicing Catholicism was put to death for treason. Many of the courtiers were hanged on this charge, and are noted in history as being martyrs for their faith.
Those who managed to practice their religion without being discovered did so in what was called a 'priest hole'. These were small rooms in the walls of a house that was covered by tapestry or a bookshelf. The required prayer instruments would be placed here, and the person would retire to this chamber at night, or at a time when they were not required elsewhere. The goose that wanders her mistress's house in the nursery rhyme discovers such a person, presumably a priest, and exposes him, or 'throws him down the stair'.
An alternative meaning to this rhyme originates from the lower class of England's population, a colloquial term used widely among the non-rich. The word 'goose' was used commonly to address a prostitute, and here, could possibly refer to a woman who has acquired an STI (Sexually Transmitted Infection). "Whither shall I wander?/ Upstairs and downstairs/ And in my lady's chamber," could be a reference to the spread of an infection that a man acquires from such a woman, which causes him to be ostracised from his community. It was quite common in England for an upper-classman to bed a lower-class woman in the society of those days.
It is rather interesting that such a practice would turn into folklore, and in turn, become a rhyme sung by little children all over the world. It has certain amusing images no doubt, but not without raising questions. England of the times of Reformation was certainly a dark place, with a terribly dark heritage.
Keywords: Heritage, Rhymes, Folklore, England, Reformation
Many individuals struggle with psychological distress at home because most of us spend the whole day doing nothing. Being trapped inside our homes may seem inconvenient, but if you have the time and patience, the time spent indoors offers the ideal chance to learn new abilities. Whether you want to transform your body by following a daily routine with the help of millions of tutorials available across platforms, or you want to learn coding, cooking, a new language, here are some skills you can learn from the comfort of your home.
- A new language: Learning a new language online from the comfort of one's own home is simple and relatively inexpensive, thanks to apps such as Duolingo and Busuu. Gaining knowledge of a new language improves your communication skills. It allows you to communicate with a more significant number of individuals and open new doors, and expand your perspectives. Although most of us cannot travel due to COVID-19 restrictions, do not allow that to stop you from upskilling yourself.
Gaining knowledge of a new language improves your communication skills. | Photo by Jason Leung on Unsplash
- Writing: When it comes to skills, writing is one of the essential ones you may possess. It is the primary mode of communication for most people, particularly in this day and age with the internet, texting, and social media. Writing also has the added benefit of improving your public speaking abilities. Books, online courses, videos, and, of course, actual writing practice are all excellent resources for learning how to enhance your writing skills.
When it comes to skills, writing is one of the essential ones you may possess. | Photo by NeONBRAND on Unsplash
- Programming: Programming is one of the highest-paying professions available that does not require the completion of a Bachelor's degree. So even if you didn't pursue a degree in computer science in college, you may still benefit from this skill. Understanding the fundamentals of programming allows you to assist in the launch of an application, the optimization of a website for search engines, and the creation or editing of content. Many online platforms are available to assist you in learning to code. Recently, I also enrolled for C/C++ programming on Internshala.
Programming is one of the highest-paying professions available that does not require the completion of a Bachelor's degree. | Photo by Danial Igdery on Unsplash
ALSO READ: Which Is More Important- Degree or Skill?
- Typing Skill: Learning to type quickly and correctly will benefit you in a variety of ways throughout your life, and it should be regarded as a fundamental skill for anybody who intends to work with computers in the future. There are many websites that provide classes to help you learn the fundamentals, and then, after you have mastered the fundamentals, more advanced courses to help you improve your abilities further.
Learning to type quickly and correctly will benefit you in a variety of ways throughout your life. | Photo by Burst on Unsplash
- Video Editing: Video is unquestionably the most powerful marketing and promotional medium available for music, goods, services, news, and educational purposes. There is a strong possibility that video editing may become the next big thing. At the moment, video production does not need large financial investments; just having access to a computer is all that is required if you possess the right video editing skills. Besides YouTube, which has a large number of detailed videos on video editing, you may discover courses on Udemy and Lynda that can assist you in learning the necessary skills
There is a strong possibility that video editing may become the next big thing. | Photo by Ryan Snaadt on Unsplash
Another thing you may do when you're stuck at home is work on your personal development. We should all strive to improve ourselves as individuals. Here are some ways through which can understand the Significance Of Self-Love And How To Nurture It.
Keywords: Skills, home, COVID, pandemic, coding, language, typing, self-love, writing
Heinz has just rolled out a new product that the condiment company says is the "biggest innovation in sauce since the packet itself." Earlier this month, the world's largest producer of ketchup announced the Packet Roller, a ketchup bottle-shaped gadget that allows users to squeeze the most out of a condiment packet, CNN reported.
"Do not click 'purchase' unless you are prepared to change everything about the way you sauce," the Heinz Packet Roller website says. The roller goes for $5.70. The roller is pocket-sized, can be added to a keychain, and features a packet corner cutter.
Heinz has just rolled out a new product that the condiment company says is the "biggest innovation in sauce since the packet itself | Flickr
This announcement could be part of the fast-tracked, "future-focused culinary and packaging innovations" that Steve Cornell, president of Kraft Heinz's US grocery business unit, hinted at earlier this year amid a shortage of ketchup. A surge in takeout and delivery food orders during the pandemic led to a scarcity of ketchup packets, the report said.
In April, Heinz pledged to increase production of ketchup by 25 per cent to 12 billion packets annually. "Gone are the days of fumbling with ketchup packets, pants ruined by mustard disasters, and minutes taken off your life trying to get to the bottom of that mayo packet. With the patent-pending Heinz Packet Roller, what was once taxing becomes simple -- just snip and roll to squeeze out every drop of your sauce of choice," the website says
Keywords: Heinz, Packet roller, sauce, company, ketchup