Never miss a story

Get subscribed to our newsletter


×
TikTok has over 54 million monthly active users (MAUs) in India. Pixabay

Chinese short video-sharing app TikTok has acknowledged that content produced by disabled users was deliberately suppressed by the firm’s moderators in a bid to prevent these users from becoming victims of bullying, the media reported.

Facing criticism, TikTok acknowledged that its approach had been flawed, the BBC reported on Tuesday, adding that the measure was exposed by the German digital rights news site Netzpolitik.


Disability rights campaigners termed the strategy “bizarre”.

A leaked extract from TikTok’s rulebook gave examples of what its moderators were instructed to be on the lookout for: disabled people, those with Down’s syndrome and autism, people with facial disfigurements, and people with other “facial problems” such as a birthmark or sight squint.

Such users were “susceptible to bullying or harassment based on their physical or mental condition”, according to the rulebook.


The logo of the TikTok application is seen on a screen in this picture illustration taken Feb. 21, 2019. VOA

The moderators were instructed to restrict viewership of affected users’ videos to the country where they were uploaded, according to an unnamed TikTok source quoted by Netzpolitik.

The moderators were told to prevent the clips of vulnerable users from appearing in the app’s main video feed once they had reached between 6,000 to 10,000 views, said the report.

Also Read: Lenovo Decides to Expands its Range of Smart Devices in India

A spokesman for TikTok admitted that it had made the wrong choice, the BBC reported.

“Early on, in response to an increase in bullying on the app, we implemented a blunt and temporary policy,” he was quoted as saying.

“This was never designed to be a long-term solution, and while the intention was good, it became clear that the approach was wrong,” the spokesperson told the BBC. (IANS)


Popular

IANS

Naseem started forcing her to dance in orchestra shows and indulge in flesh trade.

A 35-year-old woman in Uttar Pradesh was given triple talaq by her husband after she refused to dance in orchestra shows. The woman has now lodged an FIR against her husband with Lanka police.

ACP Bhelupur, Pravin Kumar Singh said: "After initial investigation in the complaint of the woman, an FIR against her husband Naseem Ahmed of Mungra Badshahpur area of Jaunpur district, his mother and two sisters has been lodged by Lanka police under sections of Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Act, Immoral Traffic (Prevention) Act and Dowry Prohibition Act. "The police have started further investigation in this case."

women protesting against triple talaq The woman has now lodged an FIR against her husband with Lanka police. | VOA

Keep Reading Show less
NewsGram

His debut serial was on the Aakash Aath channel named "Anandamoyee Maa."

Actor and dancer Susovan Sonu Roy began his career as a western dancer. Bengali Actor Susovan Sonu Roy was a part of the Star Jalsha channel's serial named "Kora Pakhi". He played a negative role in the serial for several months, along with lead actress Parno Mitra. He acted in the Star Jalsha channel's serial "Mohor", and through Mohor, he got "Kora Pakhi", which is the same production house project.

Susovan Sonu Roy debuted with the serial "Anandamoyee Maa", on the Aakash Aath channel. He has also acted in Zee Bangla channel's serial "Jamuna Dhaki," in which he played the role of a neighbour. After that, Susovan Sonu Roy acted in the Star Jalsha channel's serial named "Titli" in which he played a vital role. He has also starred in a serial called "Khelaghor.". People recognised him as an actor after being cast in so many serials.

Keep Reading Show less
Unsplash

NASA has launched the 'Deep Space Food Challenge'.

NASA will pay up to $1 million to people who can come up with innovative and sustainable food production ideas to feed astronauts in space, as the US space agency prepares to send astronauts further into the cosmos than ever before. Giving future explorers the technology to produce nutritious, tasty, and satisfying meals on long-duration space missions will give them the energy required to uncover the great unknown. In coordination with the Canadian Space Agency, NASA has launched the 'Deep Space Food Challenge' that calls on teams to design, build, and demonstrate prototypes of food production technologies that provide tangible nutritional products -- or food.

Also Read : NASA introduces 18 astronauts for Lunar program

Keep reading... Show less