Monday November 18, 2019
Home Lead Story Trump Denies ...

Trump Denies Calling Meghan Markle Nasty Despite Comments Being Recorded

In more normal times an encounter between a U.S. president and members of Britain's royal family would be considered risk-free

0
//
Trump, Meghan Markle, Nasty
Workers hang a U.S. flag on The Mall towards Buckingham Palace in central London ahead of U.S. President Donald Trump state visit to Britain, June 2, 2019. VOA

In more normal times an encounter between a U.S. president and members of Britain’s royal family would be considered risk-free. But President Donald Trump’s branding of Meghan Markle, the newest member of the royals, as “nasty” in an interview on the eve of his arrival for a state visit to America’s closest ally has raised the stakes — and also some hackles among royal fans.

Even before the president’s remark to a British tabloid there was concern among British officials of the possibility of a royal culture clash with Trump, and of something going awry in planned encounters with Prince Charles and his son Prince Harry, Megan Markle’s husband.

Prince Harry, who is known to have a fiery character, will be among the royals accompanying Queen Elizabeth to greet President Trump Monday on his arrival in the gardens of Buckingham Palace and will co-host with the British monarch a lunch for the visitors. Prince Charles and his wife Camilla, who will also be members of the royal meet-and-greet party, are slated to have tea with the American leader later in the day.

‘Diplomatic incident’

Not that anyone expects a “diplomatic incident” – envoy-speak for a hot-headed argument. “The royal family have a lot of experience to forestall any rift – they will be politeness itself, but I do expect some members will be a bit standoffish,” said a source close to the royal household, who asked not to be identified. “The other course of action, of course, is that they might go over-the-top in public friendliness – to make a point that way,” he added.

Trump, Meghan Markle, Nasty
Prince William, The Duke of Cambridge, Sir David Attenborough, Prince Charles, The Prince of Wales and Prince Harry, The Duke of Sussex at the World Premiere of Our Planet held at the Natural History Museum in London, April 4, 2019. VOA

Prince Charles, Britain’s future monarch, is a passionate environmentalist and has made no secret of his disapproval of the U.S. withdrawal from the Paris climate change accord.

Climate change is a topic the Prince has campaigned about for more than four decades and those close to Britain’s heir apparent say he will be keen to talk with President Trump about the issue if an opening arises.

Also Read- Mount Etna Shoots Molten Lava High into Italian Sky

“One thing he won’t do is broach the subject unless the American president does — that would be a breach of protocol as it is up to the visiting head of state to decide on topics for discussion,” says a former aide to the heir apparent. “But if it comes up the Prince won’t hold back on his climate change concerns,” he said.

Meghan Markle will not to be in attendance for any events involving the royal family this week – on the official grounds that she is still on maternity leave from royal duties. Markle has previously called Trump “divisive” and “misogynistic.”

Markle’s pre-marriage political activism always worried Buckingham Palace aides, who feared it might become a liability once she was a member of the royal family.

In his remarks Saturday to Britain’s Sun tabloid, the president branded Markle as “nasty” for her sharp social-media criticism of him during the 2016 presidential election campaign. U.S. officials say Trump was merely defending himself and that his description of her shouldn’t be taken literally. And they are highlighting his words of encouragement for Markle, who he also dubbed the “American princess.”

Trump, Meghan Markle, Nasty
Britain’s Prince Harry and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, during a photocall with their newborn son, in St George’s Hall at Windsor Castle, Windsor, south England, May 8, 2019. VOA

President Trump denied subsequently his remark about Markle, tweeting: “I never called Meghan Markle ‘nasty.’ Made up by the Fake News Media, and they got caught cold!” But the Sun reporter who conducted the interview — his second with Trump — posted the audio, although “nasty” could have meant “mean” or “critical” in the context, U.S, officials pointed out.

Asked for his thoughts on her joining Britain’s royal family, Trump told the Suntabloid “It is nice, and I am sure she will do excellently. She will be very good. I hope she does [succeed].”

Also Read- Unrelenting Heat Wave Triggers Warnings of Water Shortages and Heatstroke in India

But Trump’s remarks ahead of his Britain visit about onetime actress Meghan Markle, now known in Britain as the Duchess of Sussex, almost overshadowed his equally robust and norm-breaking backing of Boris Johnson as Theresa May’s successor in remarks to the White House press crops and in newspaper interviews.

Although Trump shied away from a formal endorsement of Johnson, one of a dozen Conservative lawmakers running in a leadership contest to succeed the Brexit-fouled May, his straying deep into domestic political territory is being seen here as a breach of protocol, although one many had expected he wouldn’t feel restrained from making.

Asked by Britain’s Sky News whether Trump, who has been a cheerleader for Britain’s proposed break with the European Union, should refrain from praising Brexit leaders such as Johnson during a politically tumultuous period in Britain, U.S. national security adviser John Bolton said: “The president will do what the president wants.”

Within hours of Bolton’s comment, another interview by the U.S. president, this time with the Britain’s Sunday Times added to the impression that Trump is ready to mount a running commentary during his visit on his thoughts about who should succeed May and what what should happen with Brexit.

Trump, Meghan Markle, Nasty
Former British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson, who is running to succeed Theresa May as prime minister, leaves his home in London, May 30, 2019. VOA

In his interview with the newspaper he again praised Johnson and Nigel Farage, the leader of the newly-formed Brexit Party. He said Farage should lead Britain’s Brexit negotiations. “Think how well they would do if they did,” Trump said, adding that Britain should be prepared to break with the EU. “If you don’t get the deal you want, if you don’t get a fair deal, then you walk away,” he said.

Also Read- United States to End Preferential Trade Treatment for India

Also, Trump said he would have “to know” Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn before authorizing sharing highly sensitive U.S. intelligence, if he ever became Britain’s prime minister. He also warned the Labour leader, who is boycotting the state banquet for Trump on Monday, to “get along with the U.S.” if he wanted Britain to continue to benefit from American military and intelligence support.

Trump, Meghan Markle, Nasty
Leader of the Brexit Party Nigel Farage, center, speaks as he and newly elected Members of the European Parliament from Brexit Party attend a news conference following the results of the European Parliament elections, in London, May 27, 2019. VOA

The American leader’s interventions aren’t entirely unexpected. Officials on both sides of the Atlantic had hoped for a strife-free three-day visit, one almost exclusively focused – at least publicly – on the 75th commemoration of D-Day. But what one Downing Street aide described as “grenade-throwing” by Trump even before landing in the country is adding to the controversy over his trip.

Also Read- Australia Investigates into Worsening Crystal Meth Epidemic to Examine Impact on Aboriginal Communities

Senior politicians from all of Britain’s main parties have urged Trump to avoid commenting on domestic British affairs once he’s in Britain – especially because Britain is in political turmoil with a feverish Conservative leadership race underway and with future Brexit policy hanging in the balance. The country is evenly split over whether to leave the EU, although recent polls suggest a re-run Brexit referendum would likely see a thin majority vote to remain a member of the bloc.

Trump, Meghan Markle, Nasty
Britain’s Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn gestures after voting at a local polling station in his constituency in London, May 23, 2019. VOA

Downing Street had been braced for what one British official told VOA was “always going to be a challenging week with the president pushing his America First special relationship.” He says the substantive issues will be about Iran and the U.S. trade confrontation with China. And for Britain a key post-Brexit issue is securing a trade deal with the U.S. to help make up for some of the trade losses the country will incur because of leaving the EU’s free-trade bloc.

Also Read- Thailand Toughens Rape Laws with Rise in Child Sex Trafficking

“We don’t want to get distracted by the the President’s riffs, which in some ways are delivered to test his interlocutors and put them on the defensive before he arrives,” he added. “It isn’t unusual for Trump to throw grenades before his visits, which then go smoothly once he lands,” he said. (VOA)

Next Story

Trump to Pursue Higher Sales Age for Vaping Devices: ‘An Age Limit of 21 or So’

Trump told reporters his administration will release its final plans for restricting e-cigarettes next week but provided few other details

0
Trump, Sales, Vaping
President Donald Trump speaks to reporters on the South Lawn of the White House in Washington, Nov. 8, 2019. VOA

President Donald Trump said Friday his administration will pursue raising the age to purchase electronic cigarettes from 18 to 21 in its upcoming plans to combat youth vaping.

Trump told reporters his administration will release its final plans for restricting e-cigarettes next week but provided few other details.

“We have to take care of our kids, most importantly, so we’re going to have an age limit of 21 or so,” said Trump, speaking outside the White House.

Currently the minimum age to purchase any tobacco or vaping product is 18, under federal law. But more than one-third of U.S. states have already raised their sales age to 21.

Trump, Sales, Vaping
FILE – A woman buys refills for her Juul at a smoke shop in New York, Dec. 20, 2018. VOA

A federal law raising the purchase age would require congressional action.

Administration officials were widely expected to release plans this week for removing virtually all flavored e-cigarettes from the market. Those products are blamed for soaring rates of underage use by U.S. teenagers.

However, no details have yet appeared, leading vaping critics to worry that the administration is backing away from its original plan.

Trump resisted any specifics on the scope of the restrictions.

Also Read- US Officials Identify ‘Strong Culprit’ in Vaping Illnesses

“We’re talking about the age, we’re talking about flavors, we’re also talking about keeping people working — there are some pretty good aspects,” Trump said.

Mint flavor

Underage vaping has reached what health officials call epidemic levels. In the latest government survey, 1 in 4 high school students reported using e-cigarettes in the previous month.

Fruit, candy, dessert and other sweet vaping flavors have been targeted because of their appeal to underage users.

Trump, Sales, Vaping
FILE – A man blows a puff of smoke as he vapes with an electronic cigarette, Oct. 18, 2019. VOA

On Thursday, Juul Labs, the nation’s largest e-cigarette maker, announced it would voluntarily pull its mint-flavored e-cigarettes from the market. That decision followed new research that Juul’s mint is the top choice for many high school students who vape.

With the removal of mint, Juul only sells two flavors: tobacco and menthol.

Vaping critics say menthol must be a part of the flavor ban to prevent teens who currently use mint from switching over.

‘Tobacco 21’ law

Also Read- Nobody Takes Serious Speeches of Movie Stars Seriously, Says Bollywood Star Shah Rukh Khan

Juul and other tobacco companies have lobbied in support of a federal “Tobacco 21” law to reverse teen use of both e-cigarettes and traditional tobacco products. The effort also has broad bipartisan support in Congress, including a bill introduced by Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.

The logic for hiking the purchase age for cigarettes and other products is clear: Most underage teens who use e-cigarettes or tobacco get it from older friends. Raising the minimum age to 21 is expected to limit the supply of those products in U.S. schools.

Delaying access to cigarettes is also expected to produce major downstream health benefits, with one government-funded report estimating nearly 250,000 fewer deaths due to tobacco over several decades.

Still, anti-tobacco groups have insisted that any “Tobacco 21” law must be accompanied by a ban on flavors, which they say are the primary reason young people use e-cigarettes. (VOA)