By Ruchika Verma
- Yogi Adityanath is an Indian monk turned politician
- He is currently the Chief Minister of the state of Uttar Pradesh
- Adityanath Yogi is one of the most orthodox politicians in India
When Yogi Adityanath became Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh, he sent the whole country into a brawl. Adityanath Yogi, as many know him as, is the founder of the youth group, Hindu Yuva Vahini.
Yogi Adityanath is not only a renowned Indian monk but also Hindu nationalist politician who with his association with Bhartiya Janta Party (BJP) became the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh. He is known as the face of BJP in U.P.
Here are few little-known facts about Yogi Adityanath you may not have known before:
- Yogi Adityanath was born on 5th June 1972. His real name is Ajay Singh which he changed after he became a monk.
- Adiyanath Yogi is a very intelligent man. He has a Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics from HNB Garhwal University, Uttarakhand.
- Yogi Adityanath was the youngest legislator of Lok Sabha. He became a member of Lok Sabha in 1998 from Gorakhpur constituency. He was the MP from the same constituency for five times in a row.
- Mahant Avaidyanath who was Adityanath’s predecessor was the president of Hindu Maha Sabha. They both have kept Hindutva as a forefront agenda during their election campaigns.
- Adityanath Yogi is believed to be the leader of the ‘purification’ movement in 2005, during which Christians were converted to Hinduism. This step stunned the whole country.
- Yogi Adityanath is a strong supporter of the “anti-Romeo squad.” These groups strike the couples in public, especially the unmarried ones. He says that these groups work towards restoring the pride of women.
- Yogi Adityanath is the founder of the Hindu Yuva Vahini, which is a nationalist group of young Hindu individuals. Many of its group members are Dalit Hindu who are very touchy about Hindu culture and traditions.
- Adityanath Yogi was not always on good terms with BJP. In 2010, he was one of the several BJP members who opposed the Women’s Reservation Bill.
- Yogi Adityanath’s criminal record is hardly a clean slate. He has several criminal cases against him, which include: charges related to rioting, attempt to murder, illegal possession of weapons, and charges against threatening and endangering other people’s life.
- Adityanath Yogi is known for his aggression and has been named as one of the main culprits of the Gorakhpur riots.