Thursday January 18, 2018
Home Politics US Military D...

US Military Drops Largest Non-Nuclear Bomb on Islamic State (ISIS) underground complex in Afghanistan

0
//
64
A Massive Ordnance Air Blast (MOAB) weapon is prepared for testing at the Eglin Air Force Armament Center on March 11, 2003. VOA
Republish
Reprint

US, April 13, 2017: The U.S. military says it has dropped the most powerful non-nuclear bomb in its arsenal on an Islamic State underground complex in Afghanistan.

A Pentagon statement said a GBU-43 bomb was dropped Thursday on an IS tunnel complex in the Achin district of the Nangarhar province near the border with Pakistan.

The device, called the Massive Ordnance Air Blast (MOAB) bomb, contains 11 tons of explosives. Based on its acronym, the U.S. Air Force has nicknamed it the “Mother of All Bombs.”

NewsGram brings to you current foreign news from all over the world.

Pentagon spokesman Adam Stump said it was the first use of the bomb in a combat situation.

White House spokesman Sean Spicer told reporters in Washington he was unaware if President Donald Trump approved the military action, but said “we must deny them [IS] operational space, which we did.”

The bomb was dropped in response to IS’ increasing use of bunkers and tunnels to “thicken their defense,” General John Nicholson, commander of U.S. forces in Afghanistan said.

Check out NewsGram for latest international news updates.

“This is the right munition to reduce these obstacles and maintain the momentum of our offensive against ISIS-K,” Nicholson said.

The Pentagon did not indicate how much damage was inflicted on the IS stronghold or whether there were any casualties. (IANS)

Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2017 NewsGram

Next Story

On New Year, President Trump threatens to stop Aid to Pakistan

President Donald Trump began the New Year on Monday with a blistering attack on Pakistan, saying it will get no more US aid.

0
//
38
Donald Trump blasts Pakistan. Pixabay
Donald Trump points out the $33 billion aid that Pakistan had already got in the past. Pixabay
  • Donald Trump threatens to stop all USA’s aid to Pakistan on this  New Year.
  • Trump alleged that Pakistan misuses the funds and shelter terrorists.
  • Not only Trump, but Pakistan has been accused of the same by India and Afghanistan too.

President Donald Trump began the New Year on Monday with a blistering attack on Pakistan, saying it will get no more US aid as it was giving “safe haven to terrorists we hunt in Afghanistan”.

“The US has foolishly given Pakistan more than $33 billion in aid over the last 15 years, and they have given us nothing but lies and deceit, thinking of our leaders as fools,” Trump tweeted in his strongest denunciation of Islamabad.

“They give safe haven to the terrorists we hunt in Afghanistan, with little help. No more!” he added.

There was no immediate official reaction in Islamabad.

terrorist
U.S. President, Donald Trump accused Pakistan of providing a safe heaven to terrorists. . Wikimedia

Trump’s announcement follows an increasingly tense back-and-forth between Washington and Islamabad after the US President unveiled his administration’s National Security Strategy.

He had then reminded Pakistan about its obligation towards helping the US because it got “massive payments” from Washington every year.

“We have made it clear to Pakistan that while we desire continued partnership, we must see decisive action against terrorist groups operating on their territory,” Trump had said. “They have to help.”

Pakistan is also accused by Afghanistan and India of harbouring terrorists ranged against the two countries. Islamabad routinely denies such charges. IANS