Monday May 27, 2019
Home Lead Story US Rejects Ch...

US Rejects Chinese Telecom Company’s Application to Provide Service

The U.S. and China are also in the middle of high-stakes trade talks

0
//
china telecom, US-China
FILE - A person with a smart phone enters the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) in Washington, Dec. 14, 2017. VOA

U.S. communications regulators are rejecting a Chinese telecom company’s application to provide service in the U.S. due to national-security risks amid an escalation in tensions between the two countries.

The Federal Communications Commission on Thursday voted unanimously, 5-0 across party lines, to reject China Mobile International USA Inc.’s long-ago filed application. The Commerce Department had recommended that denial last year.

US-China, china telecom service, US China relations
U.S. communications regulators are rejecting a Chinese telecom company’s application to provide service in the U.S. Wikimedia

ALSO READ: “Nike Wants to Meet Your Feet”, Launches Foot-Scanning Tool on App

The company, which the FCC says is ultimately owned by the Chinese government, applied in 2011 to provide international phone service in the U.S.

The Trump administration has been pushing against China in several ways. It has been pressuring allies to reject Chinese telecom equipment for their networks, citing security risks from Chinese telecom giant Huawei. The U.S. and China are also in the middle of high-stakes trade talks. (VOA)

Next Story

US President Donald Trump Raises a Possibility of Huawei Being a Part of US-China Trade Deal

The Chinese government denies stealing intellectual property and committing unfair trade practices

0
tariffs, chinese imports
U.S. President Donald Trump delivers remarks on a range of subjects during an event in the Roosevelt Room at the White House in Washington, May 9, 2019. VOA

US President Donald Trump has raised the possibility of easing restrictions on Huawei as part of a broader trade deal with Beijing, despite labelling the Chinese telecommunications giant “very dangerous”.

The comments on Thursday, which appear to run counter to Washington’s hardline policy on Huawei, come just a week after the US Department of Commerce placed the company on a trade blacklist, effectively barring it from conducting business with US companies, CNN reported.

“Huawei is something that’s very dangerous” from a security standpoint, Trump told reporters on Thursday.

But then he floated the idea of using the Chinese tech firm as leverage in the ongoing trade negotiations with China.

“It’s possible that Huawei even would be included in some kind of trade deal,” Trump said. “If we made a deal, I can imagine Huawei being included in some form of, some part of a trade deal.”

In response to Trump, China’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman Gao Feng said: “Recently the US is frequently using ‘long-arm jurisdiction’ to suppress Chinese enterprises. China urges the US to stop the wrongdoings to avoid further impact on the China-US trade relations.

US, Huawei CEO, China Ties
FILE – A man uses two smartphones at once outside a Huawei store in Beijing, May 20, 2019. VOA

“If the US would like to continue to talk, it should show its sincerity and correct its wrong actions.”

The US has long branded Huawei – the world’s largest telecommunications equipment maker and the No. 2 smartphone brand – as a security risk.

The Trump administration has been pressuring allies to restrict Huawei equipment in the build out of their 5G networks, citing national security concerns. Washington fears that Beijing could use Huawei equipment to spy on other countries, but has not provided any evidence that such acts have occurred.

Also Read: Google Duo Now Has Data Saving, Group Calls for Android

Huawei has repeatedly denied that any of its products pose a security risk, noting that Beijing has never requested access to its equipment and if it did, the company would refuse to comply, reports CNN.

The Chinese government denies stealing intellectual property and committing unfair trade practices.

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Thursday said the dispute over Huawei could deepen, reiterating the security risk posed by Huawei’s technology and saying he expects other international companies to elect not to use their products. (IANS)