Monday May 27, 2019
Home Lead Story Phone Users R...

Phone Users Ready to Pay 20% Premium for 5G: Ericsson

The views of the participants are representative of almost one billion people, Ericsson said

0
//

Smartphone users are willing to pay a 20 per cent premium for 5G services, while half of early adopters would pay as much as 32 per cent more, says an Ericsson study on Tuesday.

One in five smartphone users’ data usage could reach more than 200GB per month on a 5G device by 2025, said the Ericsson “ConsumerLab” report.

Average world smartphone data usage in 2018 stood at 5.6GB per month and is expected to increase to 21GB per month in 2024, an increase of roughly four times from today’s usage.

The research revealed that consumers expect 5G to provide relief from urban network congestion in the near term — especially in megacities, where six in 10 smartphone users report facing network issues in crowded areas.

The respondents also anticipate more home broadband choices to be available with the launch of 5G.

Ericsson
Ericsson rolls out export of 5G-ready telecom equipment. Flickr

Smartphone users estimate that overall video viewing across mobile or portable screens while being out of home will increase by around three hours per week — from 6.5 to nine hours – in the next five years, of which one hour will be on Augmented Reality (AR)/Virtual Reality (VR) glasses by 2025, the report said.

“Consumers clearly state that they think smartphones are unlikely to be the sole solution for 5G,” Jasmeet Singh Sethi, Head of ConsumerLab, Ericsson Research, said in a statement.

Globally, 50 per cent of consumers believe that smartphones will still exist but that perhaps everyone will be wearing AR glasses by 2025.

Also Read- Uber Drivers to go on Strike Ahead of IPO

This latest Ericsson ConsumerLab study is based on 35,000 interviews with smartphone users aged 15 to 69, carried out in 22 countries including India.

The views of the participants are representative of almost one billion people, Ericsson said. (IANS)

Next Story

Mobile Networks Suspending Orders for Huawei Smartphones: Report

The US export ban has forced Google to cut Huawei’s new devices off from its Android ecosystem

0
Huawei, information
Logo of Huawei is seen on the advert in front of the local offices of Huawei in Warsaw, Poland, Jan. 11, 2019. VOA

Mobile networks in Asia and Europe have issued suspending orders for Huawei smartphones following the US decision last week to restrict the company’s access to American technology, the media reported.

The inclusion of Huawei on an export blacklist means the Chinese company can no longer source software or components from US suppliers without a license. Existing devices are unaffected but the restrictions threaten future Huawei products and its leading position in building super-fast next generation 5G networks, CNN reported.

Vodafone, the world’s second largest mobile operator, said on Wednesday that it had paused pre-orders in the UK for the Huawei Mate 20X (5G) smartphone.

“This is a temporary measure while uncertainty exists regarding new Huawei 5G devices,” a company spokesperson told CNN Business.

The UK’s biggest carrier, EE, is also delaying the introduction of Huawei’s new smartphones. The company had touted the Mate 20X in a preview of its 5G network last week.

Japan’s top mobile operators took similar steps against another device, the Huawei P30 Lite, earlier on Wednesday. The phone was scheduled to launch in the country later this month.

5G
A woman stands at a Huawei booth featuring 5G technology at the PT Expo in Beijing, China, Sept. 28, 2018. VOA

Leading Japanese telecoms firm NTT Docomo announced that it has stopped taking reservations for the phone, and is “looking into the impact of the US restrictions”, Docomo spokesperson Yoshikumi Kuroda said.

Rival carriers KDDI and SoftBank Corp. said they will delay the release of the new Huawei phone.

The suspension of orders is the first tangible evidence that US President Donald Trump’s administration’s latest escalation of its campaign against Huawei on grounds of national security is hurting the company’s business, CNN reported.

Also Read- Britain’s First 5G Service to be Launched in May

Huawei overtook Apple last year to become the world’s No. 2 smartphone brand behind Samsung, and it relies on markets outside of China for half of its sales.

The US export ban has forced Google to cut Huawei’s new devices off from its Android ecosystem.

A temporary reprieve by the US Commerce Department allows Google to service existing Huawei devices for the next 90 days. (IANS)