By NewsGram Staff Writer
Despite galloping scientific achievements that the mankind has witnessed, we have never been able to question the invincibility of Nature. While the textbooks are filled with lessons on kinds of earthquake, there is still no breakthrough on any earthquake prediction mechanism. In such a scenario, the best bet for any country, to deal with such a horrendous event is to be prepared for the worst, while hoping for the best.
Here are a few things that you should do during a quake according to the Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) :
During an earthquake:
Keep calm and reassure others.
During the event, the safest place is an open space, away from the buildings.
If you are indoors, take cover under a desk, table, bed or doorways and against inside wall.
Stay away from glass doors, glass panes, window or outside doors.
Do not rush to go out of the building, where there are large number of people to avoid stampede.
If you are outside, move away from building and utility wires.
Once in the open, stay there till the vibrations stops.
Don not use candles, matches or open flames.
After an earthquake:
- Do not spread and do not believe rumors.
- Keep stock of drinking water, foodstuff and first-aid equipment in accessible place.
- Turn on your transistor or television to get the latest information/bulletins and aftershock warnings.
- Be prepared for aftershocks as these may strike.
- Close the valve of kitchen gas stove, if it is on. If it is closed, do not open. Do not use open flames.
- Do not operate electric switches or appliances, if gas leaks are suspected.
- Check water pipes, electric lines and fittings. If damaged, shut off the main valves. Do not touch live wires of electricity.