Get subscribed to our newsletter
Get interesting updates to your email inbox.
By- Khushi Bisht
The Mona Lisa is a half-length oil portrait of a woman painted by Leonardo da Vinci, the most popular Italian artist of all time around 1503. Leonardo da Vinci’s Mona Lisa is calm and pensive and is widely viewed as the most profound portrait ever painted which is riddled with many unsolved mysteries.
Leonardo da Vinci was a legendary figure in history. The Mona Lisa was his personal favorite and he worked on it for years. There is no denying that the Mona Lisa is an outstanding work of art. For centuries, many elements of this artwork have been the topic of considerable debate. In this post, we’ll discuss some of the theories about the artwork, as well as what historians and scholars claim about it.
Follow NewsGram on LinkedIn to know what’s happening around the world.
Who was Mona Lisa?
The subject of this painting is perhaps the most contentious topic of discussion. It is widely assumed that this is a portrait of a wealthy Italian woman Lisa del Giocondo. It isn’t proven, though, as there isn’t enough proof to back it up. There is a slew of other plausible hypotheses about the Mona Lisa.
Some scholars believe the artwork was inspired by Da Vinci’s mother. While others claimed the woman was Isabella d’Este (Marchioness of Mantua). According to others, the painting depicts Gian Giacomo Caprotti da Oreno also known as Salai, who was Da Vinci’s student, and his lover. It is also considered to be a self-portrait of Leonardo Da Vinci himself and according to the final explanation, the Mona Lisa is merely a consequence of Da Vinci’s imagination.
For more than five hundred years, Mona Lisa’s perplexing smile and everlasting mystique have sparked a lot of discussion among researchers and historians. Her smile is said to be seen differently by different viewers, depending on the perspective from which the portrait is seen. There is also an assertion that her smile transforms into a vacant facial look depending on how you gaze at the portrait, specifically what distance you’re gazing at it from.
There are numerous other scientific theories for why people perceive the smile in various ways. It all comes down to where you put your attention and how your brain reacts. Harvard University scientists proposed a physiological rationale for Mona Lisa’s enigmatic smile. Her smile becomes even more joyful, when you are not staring straight at it or if your gaze is drawn to the background. On the contrary, her smile vanquishes like a dim star when you squarely look at it.
As a consequence, it’s difficult to tell whether the Mona Lisa is actually smiling or not. Her smile varies based on where you look.
The Mona Lisa Pose:
While the pose of the Mona Lisa may seem mundane and insignificant today, it was groundbreaking in the sixteenth century. Portraits in the past were contrived and rigid. However, this pose gave birth to a modern form of portrait painting that is still popular today.
In addition, the majority of portraits at the time were full length. Da Vinci’s revolutionary cropping technique was transformative, and it was quickly replicated by a slew of other artists.
Well, much of this is conjecture, and we will never really know what Da Vinci actually meant. However, this painting pioneered a number of creative art methods. It demonstrated the artist’s absolute knowledge of techniques and remains to pique the interest of those who see it.
The Mona Lisa, by Leonardo Da Vinci, is regarded as history’s most celebrated painting. While Leonardo da Vinci died five centuries ago, his most famous painting, the Mona Lisa, with its depiction of a woman with an enigmatic smile, continues to captivate art lovers to this day.
By Olivia Sarkar
Comforting Christmas cocktails help you enjoy the celebrations and get into the festive spirit. The Leela Palaces, Hotels, and Resorts offer distinctive cocktails ranging from Hot Toddies to Decadent Egg Nogs. Sit back and enjoy one martini at a time to make the festive season a little brighter.
Dirty Chai Eggnog:
30 ml Bourbon
30 ml Baileys
90 ml Hot milk tea
Sweet cream foam to top up
Cinnamon powder and star anise.
1. In a heavy bottomed med sauce pot, prepare tea with milk. Strain and let it cool.
2. In a cocktail shaker add egg white, Bourbon, Baileys with whole spices. Shake well.
3. Pour the tea in the glass followed by ingredients from cocktail shaker.
4. Garnish with nutmeg and cinnamon powder, whole star anise
Eggnog is a Christmas favourite that is accustomed to toasts for good health and prosperity.| Pikist
Inspired by the Christmas Spirits and holiday flavours is a wonderful concoction of warm whisky, sweet vanilla, and thick butter.
45 ml Butter fat washed Whiskey
20 ml Ginger bread syrup
15 ml Spiced Apple liquor
2 dashes of Bitters
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla extract
1. Pour all ingredients into a cocktail shaker
2. Shake well
3. Pour into an old-fashioned glass
4. Garnish with Gingerbread cookie
Inspired by the Christmas Spirits and holiday flavors is a wonderful concoction of warm whisky, sweet vanilla, and thick butter. | Flickr
(Keywords: Santa's Apple, Egg Nogs, December, Cocktail, Cocktail, Christmas, holiday, celebrations)
Probiotics may significantly improve the symptoms of pregnancy-related nausea, vomiting and constipation, finds a new study.
The study, published in the journal Nutrients, showed that nausea hours (the number of hours participants felt nauseous) were reduced by 16 per cent, and the number of times they vomited was reduced by 33 per cent.
Follow NewsGram on LinkedIn to know what's happening around the world.
Probiotic intake also significantly improved symptoms related to the quality of life, such as fatigue, poor appetite and difficulty maintaining normal social activities, as scored by questionnaires.
"The cause of nausea and vomiting during pregnancy is unknown to this date. Various theories have been proposed, but none of them is conclusive," said lead author Albert T. Liu from the University of California, Davis.
Also Read : Changes in the Skin during Pregnancy
"Nausea, vomiting and constipation during pregnancy can significantly diminish the quality of patients' lives. Once nausea and vomiting during pregnancy progress, they can become difficult to control, and sometimes the patient even needs to be hospitalized," Liu added.
For the study, the team involved a small yet significant number of participants who took a probiotic capsule twice a day for six days and then took two days off. They then repeated the cycle.
The team found that probiotics were also found to reduce constipation significantly.Unsplash
The probiotics were available over-the-counter and mainly contained Lactobacillus., a type of good bacteria. Each capsule contained approximately 10 billion live cultures at the time of manufacture.
Participants kept 17 daily observations of their symptoms during the duration of the study, for a total of 535 observations for the researchers to statistically assess.
The team found that probiotics were also found to reduce constipation significantly.
Another finding was that vitamin E levels increased after taking probiotics. Higher levels of vitamin E were associated with low vomiting scores. (IANS/SP)
(Keywords : probiotics, pregnancy, nausea, vomiting, nutrients, symptoms, fatigue, appetite, constipation, vitamin.)
- Impaired Liver Function During Pregnancy Leads To Obese Kids ... ›
- Smoking during pregnancy can harm baby's brain - NewsGram ... ›
By Olivia Sarkar
If the year 2020 appeared bleak for the world, the year 2021 served as a frightening reminder that it wasn't so much about the year as it was about the times we've come to live in. Every domain and industry has experienced seismic shifts, both for the better and for the bad. However, just a few fields have seen such a huge paradigm shift as online dating throughout the course of 2021.
It becomes critical to document and analyse the important observations in the year 2021's dating trends in order to determine where online dating stands and where it is headed. This is where a poll conducted by one of India's popular dating apps, QuackQuack, comes in handy. "The pandemic has undoubtedly thrown a few curveballs towards folks wanting to date," remarked Mr. Ravi Mittal, Founder and CEO of QuackQuack, in response to the survey report. Males and females, in my opinion, are fast coming to terms with a new universe of online dating every day, adopting more self-paced and healthier forms of dating, a growing process that will soon become the standard."
The key takeaways from the survey can be best summarized as below:
- Vaccination is a must: An overwhelming 8 out of 10 persons in the survey's sample size expressed support for mandatory vaccination as a prerequisite to a date. A considerable 65 per cent and 75 per cent of people in the 18-20 and 21-30 age categories, respectively, agreed on the same thing. The need of a double jab was consistently emphasized across the country's top cities and tier 2 cities, with 75 per cent and 70 per cent of the sample size in each believing that the first step toward a safe date would have to be complete immunization of the other.
An overwhelming 8 out of 10 persons in the survey's sample size expressed support for mandatory vaccination as a prerequisite to a date. | Photo by CDC on Unsplash
- Dating with a purpose: The poll revealed that, because of the Covid procedures in place, people have had little motivation to walk outside, leading them to think on the nature of the dates they've discovered on the dating app rather than searching for matches in a desperate manner. The survey found that 47 per cent of women and 35 per cent of men agreed with this behavioral change, and that the act of reflection and introspection allowed them to have healthier relationships than before.
The difference in deliberate dating trends between people who live in cities and those who live in rural or semi-urban settings was quite similar. While roughly 37 per cent of urban teenagers believed their dating experience had taken an intentional turn, 39 per cent of rural or semi-urban teenagers felt the same way.
The difference in deliberate dating trends between people who live in cities and those who live in rural or semi-urban settings was quite similar. | Photo by René Ranisch on Unsplash
- Location is pivotal: According to the survey, a whopping 58 per cent and 56 per cent of people between the ages of 18 and 20 and 21 and 30 preferred hooking up with someone from a different place to broaden their search for a potential spouse. This trend proved to be more prevalent among women, as 58 per cent of them were comfortable dating partners from foreign countries, compared to only 50 per cent of men. Further study into a demographic analysis of the sampled data found that 46 per cent of those living in major metro cities preferred dating outside of their home location, while 57 per cent of those living in smaller cities and towns favored the same.
According to the survey, a whopping 58 per cent and 56 per cent of people between the ages of 18 and 20 and 21 and 30 preferred hooking up with someone from a different place to broaden their search for a potential spouse. | Pixabay
- Video calling versus meeting in person: Due to the ongoing Covid problem across the country, a large majority of 56 per cent of 18 to 20-year-olds preferred having their first date on a virtual medium and were risk-averse, according to the survey. On the other hand, 43 per cent of persons aged 30 and up, who adhere to a more traditional approach, decided to meet in person while taking all essential safety steps.
43 per cent of persons aged 30 and up, who adhere to a more traditional approach, decided to meet in person while taking all essential safety steps. | Photo by Matt W Newman on Unsplash
According to the survey, a vast majority of 56 per cent of 18 to 20-year-olds preferred having their first date on a virtual medium and were risk-averse due to the ongoing Covid crisis across the country. In contrast, 43 per cent of people aged 30 and up who prefer a more traditional approach preferred to meet in person while following all necessary safety precautions according to the survey. (IANS/ MBI)
(Keywords: meeting, Video calling, Location, Vaccination, dating trends, 2021, Online Dating)