Oct 1, 2017: One must explore the unexplored areas and conquer the fear of traveling alone. It is often said that traveling is not for women. Nevertheless, the prevailing trend tells that the women solo travelers are breaking the glass ceiling by traveling alone boldly.
Here are some points listed down by Jai Dhar Gupta, CEO at MACE India and Nirvana Being, and Reecha Upadhyay, an advocate of human rights policy that may help female solo travelers :
1. Plan your trip well in advance and book your accommodation promptly
2. Beware of strangers! Talk to different people and make friends, but never tell anyone where you are staying and other personal information
3. Keep all your travel related documents safe. Take photographs of your documents and save them in your phone, in case you misplace the original.
4. Do not give people around you the impression that you are traveling alone. Roam confidently without giving anyone a suspicion
5. Personal safety is always paramount, and hence women must carry defense mechanism with themselves, for example, a pepper spray or personal safety alarms.
6. Keep your money at different and unexpected places rather than keeping all your money in one place
7. Solo travelers must try to blend in the with the culture of the destination. Do not try to gage the attention by wearing scant clothes or talking strangely. Respect their cultures and seek to maintain the decorum.
8. You must never leave home unprepared. Always do your homework before visiting a place. Try to gain as much information as you can about the place.
9. Learn to say no to people. Always trust your instincts, if you do not get positive vibes from anyone, then don’t go with them. Prevention is better than cure, so always maintain distance from such people.
Prepared by Naina Mishra of Newsgram. Twitter @Nainamishr94