In a recent incidence, a Dhaka university professor Dr. Azizur Rahman has received a death threat over confronting a student with Niqab.
Watch this video:
Here is a brief summary of his point of view.
- Dr. Azizur Rahman is a professor of psychology at Dhaka University, Bangladesh.
- He confronted a student in his classroom for wearing Niqab (a veil, dress which covers the whole body except eyeballs). An edited video of this particular incident was posted online with misleading captions followed by a death threat.
- Several false allegations were brought against Dr. Rahman on social media which stated that he insulted a female student, criticized her dress and even compelled her to leave the room.
- Dr. Rehman himself clarifies that “When she was asking a question I was unable to listen to her question. Even it was difficult to identify her. So I asked her to unveil her face and raise her question”. He further says that the extremists groups are trying to “capitalize the veil issue”.
- Dr. Rahman was even defended by the student, Taposhi Rabeya herself. Adding to the fact that she was surprised by the threats against her professor. She further wrote “ I hope all will realize the truth and uphold the dignity of the teacher, and refrain from further misinterpreting the issue”
- Since the beginning of 2015, nearly 15 writers, activists, religious minorities and foreign workers have been killed and targeted. Islamic extremists have even claimed the responsibility of these attacks leading to a sense of fear among Bangladeshis. As a result, many have migrated to the United States and Europe to seek asylum.
- Bangladeshi government insists it is working in this context, but so far no one has been charged in any of the killings. However, Dr. Rahman is now under police protection. Armed security guards and plainclothes policemen keep a watch outside his house where Dr. Rahman lives with his wife.
Pritam, a 3rd year engineering student in B.P. Poddar institute of management and technology, Kolkata. A simple person who tries to innovate and improvise himself.
Twitter handle: @pritam_gogreen