YANTRA in general means “support” and “instrument” or a machine. The suffix ‘tra’ is Sanskrit for Instrument. In Hinduism, Yantras are regarded as the geometrical design for divinity in the Tantrik tradition. Murtis and mantras are other methods of representations. Yantras can be constructed, engraved or drawn on a variety of material. In the Tantrik tradition, the major 8 surfaces are gold, copper, crystal, silver, birch, hide, bone, and Vishnu stone.
A mantra is the generator of specific currents of sublime sound and its perceivable manifestation; a yantra is a monogram – a spectrograph of this sonic energy. In terms of their spiritual effects, yantras are like schematic sketches of the contours or structures of divine energy fields
– Stephen knapp
According to hinduism.about.com, Yantra or machine efficiently aids in cogitation and concentration. A yantra in Hinduism is either simple or complex that aims towards a specific purpose such as concentration and meditation. Keeping one particular yantra in a particular direction at home and worshiping it, is often said to have noticeable auspicious effects.
Yantras can be simply explained as geometric designs with symbols. These geometrical designs are very precise and accurate. Among all the sacred symbols revealed by the Rishis, yantras are primarily considered as devices for devotional practices and as objects to channelize our thought process and worship, mentions Hinduism Expert, Subhamoy Das in hinduism.about.com.
Follow NewsGram on Twitter
Types of Yantras and their Benefits-
- Sri Yantra: Also known as Sri Chakra is regarded as the mother of all Yantras. It is the most favored Yantra in India. In Hinduism, it is believed that this yantra acts as the shield from destructive influences like accidents, sickness, crises and other life-threatening tragedies.The best type of Sri Yantra which is used to meditate are those which simply are drawn with black and white lines, drawn in a shape of a triangle, representing the cosmic mountain from the center of the universe.
- Baglamukhi Yantra: This Yantra is believed to overpower enemies or hindrance and win verdicts in legal case scenarios.
- Bisa Yantra: It is believed that those who have the Bisa Yantra, also has the hand of God on them. All difficult tasks become easy. By praying to it every morning obstacles can be easily overpowered and one can attain success and honor.
- Kuber Yantra: Kuber Yantra is for the worship of the lord of wealth, Lord Kuber. It is believed that having this yantra with you or in your home makes the Lord happy and in return, He blesses one with material comforts as well as wealth.
- Shri Kanakdhara Yantra: The Literal meaning of Kanakdhara is ‘flow of gold’. Establishing it at home is considered auspicious in Hinduism and it is believed that it can open the doors to fortune for the whole family. It helps in accomplishing wealth and eliminating poverty, mentions hinduism.about.com.
- Shri Mahalakshmi Yantra: Praying to this yantra, assures of perpetual prosperity. In Hinduism, it is believed that one who possesses this yantra and worships it with a pure soul, Goddess Lakshmi blesses them and opens an avenue of wealth, fame, as well as success.
- Surya Yantra: It is believed that this yantra will increase the auspiciousness of the Sun and will remove the bad effects associated with it. It ensures good health and well-being and promotes intellect as well.
- Panchadasi Yantra: In Hinduism, it is believed that this yantra has the blessings of Lord Shiva himself and ensures morality, family happiness, wealth, and salvation.
The complex nature of yantra syntax rectifies the opinion of a lot of scholars who wrongly tagged all yantras as ‘magic’ designs.
Follow NewsGram on Facebook
The Linga Bhairavi, according to the author Jaggi Vasudev Sadhguru, offers two Yantras namely, the Bhairavi Yantra and the Avighna Yantra.
The Bhairavi Yantra is meant to enhance the well-being of an individual while the Avighna Yantra takes obstacles away from the life of an individual. Shakta Yantras represent any form of the divine mother. These are the sources of supreme knowledge. The Astrological Yantras are used to harness the energies of the nine major planets. The Numerical Yantras are not composed of geometrical forms but of numbers which serve as talismans.The Architectural Yantras are used for the ground planning of lands.
– by Yajush Gupta of NewsGram, Twitter: @
- With luxury encroaching in forest areas, tribals fear for their existence
- Kalash: Tribals of North Pakistan
- Taliban kills Khurran Zaki – a Pakistani Rights Activist
Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2016 NewsGram