- A policeman and an assailant were killed on Thursday in an explosion, just before prayers began at Bangladesh’s largest Eid congregation
- The attacker was killed after police exchanged heavy gunfire with him and his accomplices
- The attack came about a week after the terror strike at a restaurant in Dhaka’s diplomatic Gulshan enclave on July 1
DHAKA: A policeman and an assailant were killed on Thursday, July 7, in an explosion aimed at a police contingent guarding the Sholakia Ground in Kishoreganj district, just before prayers began at Bangladesh’s largest Eid congregation.
Police said at least 12 others were injured in the blasts at Azimuddin High School gate, a kilometre away from the ground, at around 9 a.m., bdnews24 reported.
The attacker was killed after police exchanged heavy gunfire with him and his accomplices.
Follow NewsGram on Twitter: @newsgram1
Constable Jahurul Haque, 30, was declared dead after he was rushed to a local hospital, said Deputy Civil Surgeon Habibur Rahman.
Witnesses said over 300,000 Muslims, who had gathered at Sholakia Ground to offer Eid prayers, were trapped in the middle of sporadic gunshots being fired between cops and militants.
According to initial probe reports, a group of six to seven people led the attack on policemen when the law enforcers were frisking people going into the prayer ground.
Follow NewsGram on Facebook: NewsGram.com
They attacked the policemen with sharp weapons and blasted some bombs at the scene.
The attack came about a week after the terror strike at a restaurant in Dhaka’s diplomatic Gulshan enclave on July 1 in which 20 people, including 18 foreigners, and two police officers were killed. (IANS)
- Bangladesh Killings: Plane carrying bodies of 7 Japanese Nationals arrives in Tokyo
- 32 killed, 80 injured in Nigeria explosion
- Over 100 killed in oil tanker explosion in South Sudan
Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2016 NewsGram